Looking for a BX mechanic in/near Switzerland (e.g. France)

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

TB2

Looking for a BX mechanic in/near Switzerland (e.g. France)

Post by TB2 »

Hi,

I own a 1989 Citroen BX TD and the cambelt needs to be changed. I'm close to selling the car, as it seems to produce a lot of unexpected costs. But I just replaced all 5 spheres (paying 880 CHF / ~560 Euros) and it would be a pity to ditch the car now.

But I asked around the local garages and even the cheapes I was able to find would charge me 1200 CHF / ~760 Euros for the cambelt, and another 500 CHF / 320 Euros for a service. The cambelt and the service would actually add up to be more than what I paid for the car. The mechanics I asked justify the high price because "one mechanic needs at least one full day of work just on the cambelt", and the labour costs are high in Switzerland. I can hardly believe they need that much time and people over at bxclub.co.uk told me that it should take no more than two hours for a qualified mechanic to do the job...

So now my precious BX is garaged all the time because I don't want to stress the cambelt any further and I am looking for a better opportunity to get the car fixed.

Can anyone recommend a good (and reasonably cheap) garage in or near Switzerland? Anything 100km from the Swiss border would still be fine, and I guess there should be plenty of garages with BX experience in France. I'd be very glad if anyone could point me to a garage I can afford.

Any ideas?

Thanks a lot for you help!