Piping replacing

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mark_l

Piping replacing

Post by mark_l »

Hello, everybody!

After 11 years on the road the main problem of my Xantia is old dry and breakable rubber pipes.
2-3 times I was stopped because of LHM leakage (anyhow it always happens in weekend begining :roll: ).

So I decided to replace all rubber pipes (all of them are return lines?).

Has anybody list of the rubber pipes (if with diameters and lenght-great!)?

What rubber those tubes have be made of?
Are fuel tubes suitable?
Are tubes for mineral oils (other cars hydraulic systems) suitable?

Any tips?

Thanks ahead.
:D
Mark
Xantia 97 2.0i SX 185 KKm SOLD
C5 II 2.0 SX 2006 Petrol 80 KKm SOLD
Opel Insignia Petrol 2000 turbo 0 Km
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

The rubber is special Mark. LHM will readily attack ordinary rubber given half a chance. I can't off-hand recall what rubber it is :? It may be Viton or Neoprene, however, the important thing is that LHM-compatible piping has a green line running along it.

Citroen still supply all you need and they're not expensive :D

For your needs, have a look at http://service.citroen.com (aka pr.net) and look under Xantia Hydrasulic Piping, specifically return piping. You'll find all you need there and as an added bonus, you can print out a list for your dealer complete with part numbers.

Note if you have not used pr.net before, you'll have to register as a private individual.

Hope that helps Mark :)
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
slim123

Post by slim123 »

Hi Mark.

It aint realy that special, the only reason for the green stripe was to make it more noticable in the store from the LHS2 piping, this had a red stripe and was used on the pre 1966 DS.

Any pipe that is OK with petrol, oil or diesel will be fine with the LHM, as it is all mineral fluid.

The most handy bit to get is some diesel leak off pipe, this stuff is the pipe used to link across the injector returns on the diesels, it is 3.2mm internal bore and realy handy for repairing the thin piping in the hydraulic system, it should be available from most good motor factors.

Fuel pipe is generally available in 6, 8, 10, 12mm internal bore size.

As for the "T" pieces and junctions, if you pop into a motor factors and ask to have a look through a selection box of screenwash pipe junctions, you will find all sorts of goodies to join the pipes with, these are all plastic and will not be affected by LHM.

As Jim states (he allways seems to be right) ordinary rubber (natural rubber) is no good at all, it will swell and burst with LHM inside it.

Regards
Slim.
mark_l

Post by mark_l »

Hi guys!

Thanks a lot for your replies! =D>

Jim, thank You for the link! (new citroservice?). Normally I use only citro's original parts although our local dealers "don't hesitate" about prices. But here for tripple return pipe they want $ 400! :shock: Today all my car cost $5000 max... [-X

Slim, finally I see acceptable explanation regarding to the green strip! \:D/

BTW, I think, that pipes, i intend to use even will be better, than original because they are reinforced.

Thanks again and soory for my english :oops:
Mark
Xantia 97 2.0i SX 185 KKm SOLD
C5 II 2.0 SX 2006 Petrol 80 KKm SOLD
Opel Insignia Petrol 2000 turbo 0 Km