Xantia auto gear problems

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

wonderd

Xantia auto gear problems

Post by wonderd »

Hi there,
I have a 99 sxtd xantia, automatic trans., in the last 2 weeks i went 5 times to the garage to try and fix some problems i have, they didn't do so well.
It seems like the load lever sensor (TPS?) is not good and it causes he car to loose it's pedal adjustments every few days.
the last time i went they cleaned the sensor well and it felt like it's good again.
The new problem i have is that when ever i let my foot off the pedal the revs of the engine goas down to 1000 rpms, like in neutral.
the other thing is that when i start from standing it feels like a clutch that slips a little bit and it takes the car a second or two to adjust.

Any help would be appriciated. (A sensor in good condition for sale would also be a good help..)

Thanks, Elad.
Xantia 2.0L 16V manual trans. 96
Xantia 1.9L TD 99
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

I don't get what you mean by "load level sensor" which sounds more suspension related than auto box.

TPS is throttle position sensor which the accelerator operates and has the job of taking the computer out of the equation at idle (or something like that).

Being a '99 model, I suspect you car could have an AL4 transmission which were a bit of a problem and had many software updates which were done by dealers via computer as well as solenoids that were replaced in a lot of them.

My suggestion would be to get it to a dealer and get it checked for current software updates as I feel that this is going to have to happen sooner or later and someone without access to these updates might end up not only hanging a big bill on you for little if any result, but may also make the job of the dealer all that much harder if he's flying blind on his troubleshooting and trying to adjust based on flawed diagnosis.

Alan S
RIP Sept 19th 2008.

She said "Put the cat out" She didn't mention it was on fire!!
wonderd

Post by wonderd »

It's not 'load level sensor', it's 'load lever sensor'.

It is a sensor on the (bosch) diesel pump, that is connected to the gas (diesel) lever and sends the gearbox instructions when to shift gears.
Yes it's AL4 gear.

I went to the dealer, he is the one that 'fixed' the problem 3 times already, i believe i need a new sensor like that and the biggest problem for me is the price of it here (about 450 euros), so now i am looking for a sensor to buy in europe somewhere, even a used one.
Xantia 2.0L 16V manual trans. 96
Xantia 1.9L TD 99