Parking Regs

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

OwenP
My Cars:

Parking Regs

Post by OwenP »

I had to work about 70 miles away from my normal spot yesterday, spent a day working and got back to my car to find a parking ticket on saying I'd spent longer than allowed. Looked around to see no signs in the car park.

So went to find the warden to argue it with him. He said there's one sign at the entrance. No I drove in what was apparently the exit, although it is not marked as no entry or no left turn in or out only, so I didn't see the sign and there is a building between where I parked and said sign.

I did manage to get him to cancel the ticket, but what are the legalities of parking regs with regards to signage?

Also whilst he cancelled mine he commented "I've also hit up the managers car as well, that's his 4x4 there" Surely if he knew it was the managers that's a bit not on? Apparently staff are supposed to have a notice in their window stating as much, seems open to abuse, and a bit flimsy when the warden knows what cars they drive.
2001 406 Rapier 2.0 HDi 90 Estate - Sold Scrap after being viciously attacked by a falling tree
2001 Toyota MR2 1.8 VVTi - To be sold for spares/repair - dead gearbox :(
2014 Seat Ibiza Eastate 1.4 FR ACT (bought in an emergency, but a nice enough low mileage car)
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

One of those times when it pays to have a small camera with you. :)

Had the ticket not been cancelled, producing photos to suport your case would almost certainly have won your case for you. :)
James. (Nr M67 East of Manchester).
Dark Blue ZX 1.9D Auto 1994 'L' 5 dr (modified) Aura. 98K miles used daily. Ave mpg 40
Wedgewood Blue 75 CTD auto Connoissaur. 2002. 144k. used daily. ave mpg 40 ish.
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Re: Parking Regs

Post by Homer »

OwenP wrote: I did manage to get him to cancel the ticket, but what are the legalities of parking regs with regards to signage?
If it's private land then pretty much anything goes. :x
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

The signage has to be reasonable, that is so that a reasonable person exercising reasonable care can't miss them. The signage also has to comply with the relavent regulations. I had a conversation with a traffic warden one day where it was explained that the signage and lines weren't legal 10 feet from where I was parked, i.e. round the corner I could park on the yellow lines and the warden wouldn't bother issuing a ticket because even though lines were painted they combination of lines and signs didn't meet the regulations.

If you can get into the car park without seeing the signs the regs don't apply.... simple as that.
OwenP
My Cars:

Post by OwenP »

@ Kowalski - I thought there was something like that, I'm guessing that is why he cancelled the ticket fairly easily.
2001 406 Rapier 2.0 HDi 90 Estate - Sold Scrap after being viciously attacked by a falling tree
2001 Toyota MR2 1.8 VVTi - To be sold for spares/repair - dead gearbox :(
2014 Seat Ibiza Eastate 1.4 FR ACT (bought in an emergency, but a nice enough low mileage car)