C5 Brake Squeal

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

wigelywoo
My Cars:

C5 Brake Squeal

Post by wigelywoo »

I've got the dreaded rear brake squeal.
I do beleive that I need to replace pads and remove callipers and clean off any corrosion.
Calliper bolts?
New ones advised?
Smear with Loctite
What torque for bolts?

Thanks in advance........
There are two secrets to success
1. never reveal all you know
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Yes, that is the job you need to do :)

Before attempting to get the calipers off, remove the pads and put the pad retaining bolt back in the caliper so that when you remove the caliper, the two halves stay together.

You may need to remove the discs too.

The old bolts will be OK to reuse but take care removing them as they're made of high-tensile steel and can snap. Wire brush the exposed ends of the threads and douse well in Plus Gas (not WD40 - it's not up to the job)

Use a good socket and a long bar and apply even, consistent torque to it. Go easily and let the bolts take their time coming out. Rotate them back and forth to help them along. Don't thump the end of the bar with a hammer. Easy, easy.

Disconnect the hydraulic lines completely to the calipers. You can't do a proper job if you don't.

Remove the calipers completely and give the surface facing the trailing arm a really good clean up. be aware that the corrosion can set very hard and may look like metal. You may need a sharp cold chisel to shift it all.

Clean up the mating face on the trailing arm too.

Smear both surfaces with copper grease or preferebly its alloy equivilent if you can get hold of some. Then reassemble. Do the bolts up tightly. The torque (for the Xantia) is 35 ft lbs (47 Nm).
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
ncoll
My Cars:

Post by ncoll »

Hi,
Everything citrojim quotes is right but when I did mine I had to knock the bolts out of the calipers and pass a drill the was 1.5mm larger than the bolt diameter through the calipers to get the crud out of the holes, I might add that my first socket split and I had to buy a high impact socket and use 4ft long piece of tubing as an extension.

Good luck
Current XM 2ltr Auto
Now gone C5 2.2 auto estate
philipte

Post by philipte »

I would definitely recommend that you get a new set of bolts, they're not expensive. As originally assembled the loctite is all over the threads and also in the hole in the calliper through which the bolt passes. This is the 'crud' that ncoll refers to, and I also had to drill mine out. The first time of doing the job I had to resort to a pair of stillsons.......
wigelywoo
My Cars:

Post by wigelywoo »

Thanks for the replies
I got a quote of £45 + brake pads from a Citroen garage (not main dealer) so I decided to let them do the struggling. Must say I'm well impressed with their work..
There are two secrets to success
1. never reveal all you know