Remote central locking

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Fox
My Cars:

Remote central locking

Post by Fox »

This car is beginning to get annoying, however I'm strangely attracted to it so will keep going.. :)
Got out of the car at lunchtime, locked the car fine, walked off. Returned at about 15:00, unlocked the car fine, drove to Sainsburys. Got out at 15:10, and ever since the remote central locking simply refuses to work. The red light still illuminates fine on the keyfob.
Arrghghg! Whats wrong here?
1994 Citroen Xantia SX 1.9 Turbo Diesel
148,500 miles
mbunting
My Cars:

Post by mbunting »

Suggest you check / clean the sensor in the roof.
My problem is that keyfob batteries only seem to last about 1 week. I don't bother now, just lock & deadlock with the key.
rabenson
My Cars:

Post by rabenson »

A common problem is a dry joint on the InfraRed LED. Take the fob apart (as if you were changing batteries) and run a quick soldering iron over the IR LED lead connections onto the circuit board.
rabenson
My Cars:

Post by rabenson »

A common problem is a dry joint on the InfraRed LED. Take the fob apart (as if you were changing batteries) and run a quick soldering iron over the IR LED lead connections onto the circuit board.
Fox
My Cars:

Post by Fox »

It isnt the fob - tried the other fob as well same thing :(
I can't lock it using the drivers door either. The key just spins around and round..
148,500 miles
Fox
My Cars:

Post by Fox »

It isnt the fob - tried the other fob as well same thing :(
I can't lock it using the drivers door either. The key just spins around and round..
148,500 miles
frankie

Post by frankie »

Mine started to get entertaining when water collected in the front footwell and soaked the multiway connector. The plip connection rotted away completely requiring a butt-join. Lift the carpet up and see if there is a puddle.
As for rotating keys, mine does that too, try pushing it in a bit harder before rotating.
xantia sx td 95 diesel motor yacht
Fox
My Cars:

Post by Fox »

Nope there is no puddle.
There was a lake though :)
The sunroof drain got blocked and the rear passenger footwell flooded bigtime. Finally found the blockage and removed it, and spent the entire day getting water out using a Vax. Removed about 5 litres. It's still wet under the carpet but I can't get any more water out without ripping the whole thing up :(
Could water under the REAR passenger carpet have done this? AFAIK there is none under the front.
148,500 miles
timbo
My Cars:

Post by timbo »

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
Nope there is no puddle.
There was a lake though :)
The sunroof drain got blocked and the rear passenger footwell flooded bigtime. Finally found the blockage and removed it, and spent the entire day getting water out using a Vax. Removed about 5 litres. It's still wet under the carpet but I can't get any more water out without ripping the whole thing up :(
Could water under the REAR passenger carpet have done this? AFAIK there is none under the front.
148,500 miles
<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size=2 id=quote>
timbo
My Cars:

Post by timbo »

have just bailed out 4 gallons myself, found that water runs from front to back footwells,have drilled two drain holes should keep the water level down also found that the wires from the roof sencer go too a block terminal under a plastic cover in front of the front door sill, two of the very small wires had corroded away due to water
Timbo<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
This car is beginning to get annoying, however I'm strangely attracted to it so will keep going.. :)
Got out of the car at lunchtime, locked the car fine, walked off. Returned at about 15:00, unlocked the car fine, drove to Sainsburys. Got out at 15:10, and ever since the remote central locking simply refuses to work. The red light still illuminates fine on the keyfob.
Arrghghg! Whats wrong here?
148,500 miles
<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size=2 id=quote>
Fox
My Cars:

Post by Fox »

What is the easiest way to access this block terminal?
Also, how did you drain the car of water? Any tips?
148,500 miles
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Fox
Easiest way to drain water is to make a hole in the floor and when you are convinced you have cured the problem simply block it with a grommet or a nut and bolt if you prefer.
jeremy
Fox
My Cars:

Post by Fox »

Sounds like a plan - problem is most of the water is nicely locked inside the foam stuff under the carpet. How do I get it out with a hole?
148,500 miles
nat-b
My Cars:

Post by nat-b »

I have just had the same grief (but my alarm was dicky too - but I fixed that now - I think the central locking is still not 100%). I think the only way is to take out the passenger seat and the front piece of carpet at least. You then have to wring out as much water as possible from the foam by bending and squeezing different bits of it - if you really have a lake, lots of water will come out - it is surprising how much water can remain, even if the surface of the foam feels quite dry - either sloosh it down a hole (there is a big grommit up front on passegner side - remeber to remove the one underneath the car as well!) You really have to do a lot of squeezing to get the worst out before any normal drying can begin (otherwise it is like trying to empty a bucket of water with a hair dryer).
Then either leave it running for a day with the heaters on full blast and the foam propped up with vairous bits and pieces so that the air can get underneath (with the window open enough so you can reach in and unlock the door when the central locking fires by iteslf again!) or get an electric heater or mobile air-con in there for a day. I did a day of each with the front carpet in my living room (after wringing!) Once the passenger seat is out, you can take out the front bit of the of the carpet/foam and take it in your house for a few days. You must wring it all out first tho, or it will take yonks. I did wonder about going down the local chemsists, where I am told one can buy silica-gel by the bucket - I might do this as well, but if it is really wet, I think wringing is the only way to get it done (at least if you hope to get it dry before your hair turns grey and the rest of the car is knackered ;)
Also, if it has been damp under there for a while, you may have little spots of rust starting which, being a thorough sort, you will want to treat, so getting under the carpet is the only way I think.
Because of the foam, I think that using the drain holes alone will not help much. Also, the underbelly seems to be double skinned over most of it, so there would need to be two holes I think - not sure, tho.
A similar discussion is going on in 'central locking craziness'
I think I have traced my leak now to the windscreen seal - which is now packed with silicon :)
I had my cooling system presurised by the local (independant) lemmon-bashers, and they said the matrix was OK. Also, looking at the water I wrung out of the foam, it looked very clean and didn't smell of coolant, so I reckon it was probably rain water. I could feel dampness quite high up the front (behind a secondary plastic/foam cover under the front carpet which I also had to wring out) which is higher than the matrix (I think) so in my case, it pointed to either wheel arch hole (took it to the local jet-wash and sprayed up underneath but seemd to stay dry) or the windscreen. (I have no sunroof)
Sorry that that went on a bit long. I'll shut up now. If I get to the bottom of the central locking problems, I'll post.
Cheers,
Nat
Fox
My Cars:

Post by Fox »

That was most helpful. Thankyou.
With regards to the water, we traced it to a blocked sunroof drainoff pipe.
How much fuel does the car use leaving it on all day with the engine running? Also what can you do to guard against theft? Must be dead easy to nick a car left with the engine on all day..
148,500 miles