HDI loud rattle at idle?

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

leylandp38
My Cars:

HDI loud rattle at idle?

Post by leylandp38 »

I just bought my first Peugeot, a '99 406 HDI (110) 2.0L. It goes pretty well and is quiet at speed, but at idle it sounds like my grandad's old Fergy tractor. It holds an easy 100mph on the motorway fully loaded. There is no smoke, no oil usage and the exhaust is clean. Turbo seems fine and temp is stable.

It's been a while since I had a diesel so I didn't notice the noise at first, just thought it was normal diesel rattle but now I'm sure it's louder than it should be which has me a little bothered. You really notice it when it's parked outside our house warming up in the morning.

I don't have records of when the cambelt was last changed so i've bought a new one from GSF and pulley belt as well, will do the lot plus fluids, filters etc as soon as I get a clear weekend (and as soon as Amazon deliver the Haynes manual). I hate not knowing when the oil was last changed.

From browsing the forum, I suspect the crank pulley - can someone confirm this and I'll buy one of those too. Is there an easy check when I have the belt off? Any tricks or tips I should watch out for when changing it?

Finally, how do I tell if my car is the 8v or 16v diesel? VIN is VVF38ERHZE80870785V

cheers

Al
99 Peugeot 406 GLX Estate HDi 110
matt
My Cars:

Post by matt »

Im not sure but this sounds like the dual mass flywheel? Only going by what ive read on the forum in the past.

I think it can be ditched in favour of a proper flywheel tho,maybe worth a search of the forum(if you can get it to work that is)
92 205 1.9 GTI(MODIFIED,SORRY )
1996 VOLVO 850 2.5 5CYL 10V
1999 EXPERT VAN TD - WHITE !
No more car's thanks!
leylandp38
My Cars:

Post by leylandp38 »

Ouch! I hope not - much more expensive and a bigger job too I'd have thought, as gearbox would have to come off.

Wouldn't a flywheel problem show up at speed as the engine would be unbalanced? This one is smooth, even at idle, just noisy.

Thanks for the thought, something else to consider.
99 Peugeot 406 GLX Estate HDi 110