Xsara HDI-110 busted front o/s spring ( replace 1 or both )

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

ebod
My Cars:

Xsara HDI-110 busted front o/s spring ( replace 1 or both )

Post by ebod »

In a recent pothole damage incident, I chinned my n/s front alloy rim and I've just realised my front o/s coil has snapped .
It didn't sit lurched over or anything, I just noticed when coming down off speedbumps there was a grating noise.

Anyway, my local carparts place wany £49 quid a spring but a) I'm skint and b) I wouldn't be sure whether most Xsara's have the same spring or if they are all different. I'd assume a 2.0HDI would have different springs to a 1360cc petrol for example.

Wud I be okay to just get ONE new spring ? or should I follow the rational used for brakes / shockers and only buy pairs ?

PS anyone know a cheap source for springs ? The Cit part number is RP 5002 RZ.

Thx
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

replacing as a pair is the correct thing to do, but i have replaced springs on one side only when keeping the cost down for my customers,

i belive thje usual cause of spring faliure is week shockers

have you tried GSF for a new one
regards malcolm
nick
My Cars:

Post by nick »

I had to replace a spring on my Xsara for the MOT last year. I hadn't even noticed it had broken to be honest, a few inches from the very top had gone, but enough for the tester to fail it.
I replaced just the one and haven't had any problems, as far as I can tell it handles exactly as it did before the original spring broke.