Auxiliary belt

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Bootser
My Cars:

Auxiliary belt

Post by Bootser »

Auxiliary belt snapped yesterday on my activa , got a new belt .
What do you all reckon a fair price is for getting it fitted?

Also , does any of you know of a decent garage or chap in the salisbury area who could do it for me as im new to the area.

Was going to have a go myself but im workin odd shifts at the moment and havent even got time to break wind .

Would rather have it done by somone who knows what they are doing rather than just taking a chance out of the yellow pages .

Thanks for reading .
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Should be as cheap as chips :D

On an Activa, surprisingly, this is a very easy job. 20 minutes tops.

Wheel off, mudshield off. Big 3/8" breaker bar on the automatic tensioner to release it, slip new belt on, release tensioner, job done!

Takes nearly as long to describe the job as to do it. The only slightly difficult bit is tensioner; it puts a heck of pressure on the belt and takes some strength to pull it off, hence the need of a breaker bar.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Bootser
My Cars:

Post by Bootser »

Thanks citrojim , might give it a go over the weekend if its that easy .

Any idea of the way the belt runs through the pulleys as the old one snapped :)
Bootser
My Cars:

Post by Bootser »

Thanks citrojim , might give it a go over the weekend if its that easy .

Any idea of the way the belt runs through the pulleys as the old one snapped :)
Bootser
My Cars:

Post by Bootser »

Double post , sorry ..
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

The belt runs very much like any other Xantia..

Start at the HP pump pulley, down under the upper tensioner jockey wheel, around the crank pulley, around the aircon pulley, around the alternator pulley around the lower tensioner jockey and back to the HP pump.

The trick is to keep the tensioner pulled off whilst you finally pop the belt onto the aircon pulley. Mind your fingers! There is always a rick of trapping your finger under the belt against the pulley and it hurts :lol: :lol:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Bootser
My Cars:

Post by Bootser »

Thanks for all your help really appreciate it .

Off to try it now :)
Bootser
My Cars:

Post by Bootser »

It dont seem to want to fit the way you explained citrojim .

Could the activa belt run a different way?
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Bootser wrote:It dont seem to want to fit the way you explained citrojim .

Could the activa belt run a different way?
Close but no cigar :oops: yes, slightly. I was working from memory, my Activa is currently away from home..

HP Pump - Under upper tensioner - half around the alternator - around lower tensioner - around crank pulley - arouund alternator pulley and finally vack to the HP pump.
Jim

RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Surely it's (clockwise):

Crank pulley, under the top tensioner, over the HP pump, under the bottom tensioner / idler, over the alternator, over the A/C compressor, back to the crank pulley

Which actually is what you said in your first post Jim I think.

Haynes recommends fitting a 4mm drill bit or allen key into a hole in the bottom of the spring tensioner to take the load off the belt whilst you fit it...or maybe the 2.0 T is different to the N/A car....
Richard W
Bootser
My Cars:

Post by Bootser »

Still cant get it on :cry: Its the right size belt as i have the old one to compare with .

The top pulley below the hp pump pulley , the alt pulley and the bottom adjuster pulley are too close together for the normal xantia way .

Ive given up for tonight losing the light . wish i had a piccy lol
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Hi Bootser,

I've been struggling for ages to post this. Apologies for the quality...

Art and drawing is not my strongest subject!

UT - Upper Tensioner.

LT - Lower Tensioner.

Hope it helps!

Jim

Bootser
My Cars:

Post by Bootser »

Thanks for taking the time to do the drawing Jim your a star. Had the belt on in ten mins using it :D

You can lock the tensioner off . Theres a small hole just above left of the 3/8 drive hole on the bottom of the tensioner . A small srewdriver or allen key in there when you've released the tensioner locks it . If you attack the tensioner from the front of the car , underneath , you don't need a breaker bar a normal ratchet will do .

If your ever down Salisbury way let me know , i owe you a pint or several . :wink:

Sorry for not posting earlier , just got home from work .
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

:D

Pleased it all came good in the end! Good tip about locking off the tensioner, never knew that.. Brilliant :D
Jim

oscarloco
My Cars:

Post by oscarloco »

I suppose that engine has a lot of space. I spent nearly 3 hours replacing my ZX's. Problem was that the new belt wouln't fit between the tensioner and the alternator and crank pulleys. Eventually, I pulled the tensioner so there was enough clearence.
Oscar Lopez
'94 ZX 2.0 8v petrol (restoration to its former glory on its way after being neglected by stupid Ex)