Air con strange noise, any Ideas

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

tdolman

Air con strange noise, any Ideas

Post by tdolman »

I have noticed recently that whenever I turn on the air conn there is a strange almost metalic scraping noise it comes and goes every few seconds, I think its comming from the air con pump. also the air con sometimes doesnt work, paticularly when the weather is really cold.

anyone got any ideas, I suspect hat the pump is on its way out, are they easy to change ? I had it regassed last year (just in case its relevant)

Any help much appreciated.
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

Can you hear it outside the car or from the driving seat?

If it's only outside and definitely coming from the compressor, may just be a bearing which is no big deal.
If inside, I have heard the relay associated with the air con which on a BX (and I think also on a Xantia) is located under the shroud under the steering wheel and if things are getting a bit sensitive with the sensors, they can tend to flutter and make a metallic "cling" as the contacts in the relay quickly move in and out.
As regards not cutting in, in very cold conditions; common thing as there are limits on just how low the temp can be for the sensors to trigger the compressor.
One way is to turn on the heaters first to warm the cabin ambient air up a few degrees and see what happens then; that usually solves that one.

Alan S
RIP Sept 19th 2008.

She said "Put the cat out" She didn't mention it was on fire!!
tdolman

Post by tdolman »

Hi Alan

Thanks for your reply, the noise definately comes from the engine bay and I'm pretty certain it is from the compressor (you can hear it from inside the car but only when its quiet in the cabin)

Assuming it is just a bearing any one know how to go about replacing it also are they redily available in the uk?

Thanks for your commets re air con when cold, that makes sence i suppose but i like to use the air con in winter for its de misting capabilities with the abient temp below 2 or 3 degrees its pretty hit and miss.

Cheers

Tim
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

Tim,

Take a peak here as a starting point.

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... hp?t=19794

Alan S
RIP Sept 19th 2008.

She said "Put the cat out" She didn't mention it was on fire!!