Xsara transponder immobiliser

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Pug106Dave
My Cars:

Xsara transponder immobiliser

Post by Pug106Dave »

I've had my 1.6 xsara at the garage today having my clutch replaced, and get the call at 4 o'clock, "we've done your car, but....." The immobiliser has gone screwy and it won't start at all. The chap says they've tried disconnecting the battery again and allsorts. So I took a loan car home.

I've since found out the spare key and security code card to take to the garage tomorrow. What are the chances of it working with the spare key? Is there a special sequence to reset the code in the other key to the car, or will this end up being a citroen only job? There isn't a cit dealer in town just to make things a bit harder still?

Anybody else had this after the battery has been removed?

Cheers, /dave
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

What age is it? What are the symptoms - immobiliser problems are usually accompanied by the key symbol flashing on the dash.

If it's a MK1, then it's probably not multiplexed, so the cause is likely to be a misfitted connection or sensor. If it's MK11 and multiplexed then all sorts of nasty things can happen if the battery is carelessly reconnected.....
Richard W
Pug106Dave
My Cars:

Post by Pug106Dave »

It's a mk2 2002 16v vtr.

The immobiliser light is on, the engine doesn't turn over and the remote buttons no longer operate the central locking, but the locking still works from the key manually.
nick
My Cars:

Post by nick »

They probably didn't allow the BSI time to shut down properly before disconnecting the battery. I had this with my Xsara but fortunately all it did was disable the remote locking. I had to take it to a dealer for them to reprogram the key codes into the BSI, but as long as you have the key code I think a decent auto electrician with the right equipment could probably do it.
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

Have they put the gearbox earth(s) back on & are they secure ??
The transponder does NOT stop the starter motor turning.