xantia battery terminal broken

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

_kid_

xantia battery terminal broken

Post by _kid_ »

the negitive terminal on my xantia battery has broken off and now wont screw tight, is there anything available which will hold the terminal in place. i cant imagine im the first to do this. the material used is like putty!
currently no citroens :-(
1.4 2000 forte now gone too
xantia 1.8i 16v dimension 1996P now gone,
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Do you mean the terminal post on the battery or the bit with the wires attached that clamp around the battery terminal post?

If the former, a temporary fix is to carefully drill the post down the middle and insert a screw. It will not last though and a new battery is the only long-term answer. Don't try soldering it! too dagerous :twisted:

The clamps are terrible and I guess this is what has failed. Replacement is the only answer and those normally supplied are not suitable as it is generally impossible to fit all the wires in them. A better bet are those rather blingy battery termainls sold for the barryboys and chavs to fit their megawatt stereo systems. These seem to have plenty of capacity for many high-current wires and are actually just the job.

Getting the old clamp off is a mission. Easy way is to use a pair of bolt croppers although a hacksaw will do the job. You may find it best to attach the thinner wires with crimp-on terminals to the new clamp but do use a proper crimping tool, not those cheapo jobs you so often see. If the holes in the new clamp are too big for the heavy wires, increase their diamater by wrapping some sheet copper around them to make a ferrule. I don't recommend soldering any of these wires as the act of soldering makes the wire brittle and they may break.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

if the clamp has not actualy broken but just wont grip anymore, this is what happens when they are over tightend,

what i do is remove the pinch bolt, ease the lead apart, file the two matting surfaces then bung it back together,

but remebmer the gap is not ment to be fully pulled together, it should only be done up so it tight enough not over tight
regards malcolm
Stempy
My Cars: C5 V6 Mk1 assainated by wife
Renault Kangoo 1.6 auto, tarted up and remapped
Still missing the Xantia V6
Not missing the AX

Post by Stempy »

Mine broke after it was refitted by a Citroen dealer mechanic. You can buy the new terminal lead assembly for about £15 I think from Citroen, but I just bought a pair of universal screw on terminal connectors, removed the screws and soldered the new connector on.
It infuriates me to be wrong when I know I'm right

Lexia ponce

http://perception.dyndns.biz/~avengineering/index.htm
_kid_

Post by _kid_ »

it is the actual part (of the clamp) where the bolt goes thought that has snapped off therefore it is impossible to tighten.

Is it possible to buy something like the item below and simply cut the wire of the old clamp, ensure a good connection and tighten the clamp onto the battery, as i think trying to hacksaw to old clamp is a lengthy job- if not too difficult (touching a large plank of wood as i type!)

http://tinyurl.com/2sy9el
_kid_

Post by _kid_ »

jim

i should add it is the negative terminal and therefore only two wires, and not to thick. The +ve terminal on the other hand would be a different story, but that’s ok

All this started last week when Halfords exchanged the old battery under warranty (despite it being a couple of weeks outside the 3yr warranty-i think they made a mistake in reading the old receipt! just as well as the 'new' battery is £75- what a rip off if some poor sour is forced into buying one)
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

I had exactly that trouble on my last Xantia, and repaired it using one of those screw on jobbies. Cutting the cable is easy with bolt cutters :lol: It can be a bit of a challenge getting the wires in, as they are rather short!
Richard W
Stempy
My Cars: C5 V6 Mk1 assainated by wife
Renault Kangoo 1.6 auto, tarted up and remapped
Still missing the Xantia V6
Not missing the AX

Post by Stempy »

Being made of lead it's quite easy to melt off the old terminal with gentle use of a blow torch.
It infuriates me to be wrong when I know I'm right

Lexia ponce

http://perception.dyndns.biz/~avengineering/index.htm
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i dont like these screw/bolt on replacment terminals, as they usualy create a bad connection, unless as Stempy said solder them on
regards malcolm
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

You can buy ready made leads with terminals on from many accessory shops - and so presumably factors - and probably Halfords. Just make sure its reasonably well made and that the copper bit isn't even smaller than the original - especially for a diesel engine.

You will probably need to measure your existing lead carefully or take it with you.
jeremy
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

Just pick up a replacement lead from the breaker's - a couple of quid or so, I should think, and the correct item.