Noisy bloody tensioner!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

XantiaMan
My Cars:

Noisy bloody tensioner!

Post by XantiaMan »

Since having my cambelt done my aux belt tensioner has been noisy, it rattles and rumbles. It fine at idle when warm, but it still makes a noise when you rev it, then goes quiet. On a cold morning it is sometimes very noisy!

I am starting to wonder if citroen actually supplied me with the correct belt.

I have current fitted a 5750 YF, which is 1736 in length. There is another belt which they didnt have, which is 5750WS, 1726 in length.

My Xantia is a 1997 late Mk1 1.9 TD with A/C. Does it sound like i have the wrong belt fitted? I've not noticed it flapping around TBH, and it was all perfectly silent before the belt was changed, which was because it was badly perished.

TIA

Gareth
2003 Ford Mondeo ST220
2002 Ford Fiesta Zetec S
2001 Ford Puma 1.7 VCT
2008 Ford Transit Mk7
http://www.facebook.com/kidmans" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Hi Gareth,

See my reply in the other thread.

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... 025#152025

It may just answer a little.

Now, I find the aux belts are always a bit noisier when the engine is cold and outside air temperature is low. This does support the theory of the belt being a bit too long; after all, the engine expands quite considerably as it warms to normal operating temperature. So much that it has to be taken into consideration when tensioning a 2.0CT cambelt which uses an eccentric roller tensioner and nothing else.

My experience ,having owned many XUDs with aircon is they are all noisy in the aux belt department. Only my Activa, which has a vicious heavy spring-loaded fully automatic tensioner that needs a long breaker bar to release it enough to swap the belt is silent.

The only nice, quiet running XUD aux belts I have known are on non A/C cars..
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Gareth,

I've just looked on pr.net and there are FOUR different belts quoted depending on whether you have a Sanden or Lucas-Harrisow A/C compressor or have an early or late car :roll:

The belt is also different between early 1.9s and later 1.9s with the 2.1 style tensioner set-up so you have a lottery there.

Such is the subtle differences, it is always a good idea to take your old belt and compare it to any replacement you are offered.

You'll likely find most factors stock one size that sort of fits all and ends up fitting nothing correctly :twisted:

Just like a certain manufacturer of fuel filters I know who think 1.9TD and 2.1TD filters are identical; they're not as I found out to my cost yesterday :evil:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...