Xantia Front Wheel Bearings

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

KP
My Cars:

Xantia Front Wheel Bearings

Post by KP »

Is it a PITA job to do as i notice that the bearings themselves are about £15 from GSF so i was wondering how long it would take a garage to do the job??

Anyone ever done it at home?
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Not specifically on a Xantia but many 205s which have a similar set-up. They need pressing out with a hydraulic press, no other way in my experience...

It's a doddle of a job for a garage on bare hubs so a very cheap one I should say. Might even be free or the cost of a few beers..

Alternatively, if you are anywhere near, you are welcome to use my hydraulic press.. Trouble is, it's not very portable.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I've done a couple on XM's. You can get the bearing out by running a ring of weld around the inside of the outer part, when it cools it shrinks and is quite easy to remove.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Peter.N. wrote:You can get the bearing out by running a ring of weld around the inside of the outer part, when it cools it shrinks and is quite easy to remove.
That's an interesting method Peter :)

How do you press the new ones in? In those I have done I find them quite tight so again the press is a good thing to use. I guess you could freeze the new bearings and heat the hub to give some clearance and use a big vice.

I never like hammering bearings in myself. I would always rather press them in.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Hi Jim

Yes, you can press them in with a big vice or large bolt and washers, but as you will appreciate you have to keep everything dead square, a little grease applied also helps
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

I've done two of these now without the aid of a press.

To get the hub off, you use a slide hammer, the bearing outer knocks out with a suitable hammer and drift (by suitable I mean large).

The new bearing goes in easilly if you can keep it all dead square, a large bolt, suitable washers plus some 3/4" sockets to use as spaces to keep things aligned and square are all you need. If you clean everything up and use plenty of oil or grease it'll go in dead smooth. The first one I did I didn't lubricate up so it wasn't very smooth going in, the second I did was much smoother but it was swimming in oil.
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

How much per side would a garage normally charge either including or excluding the bearing does anyone know as my drivers side is really going awol soon :(
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

About a ton. You could make it cheaper by striping the hub off youself and just getting them to change the bearing, but with a 4-post lift and windy gun they will have the hub off in about 10 minutes....
Richard W