205 tyres on a standard xantia

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

205 tyres on a standard xantia

Post by jgra1 »

hi All.. have head these on for 2 weeks now.. grip is way better than the old 185 14's (They are on exclusive alloys but i gather you can fit 205's to normal steel wheels - I have a the previous set of these if anyone wants them)

The body roll now really shows up as a handleing woe.. but I am a bit spoilt buy having a V6 before I got this TD LX :twisted:

however, the car with these tyres or previous ones is hard to keep in a straight line.. It doesn;t seem to self center very well, bumpy surfaces and pot holes seem to throw the car off all of the time, you find your always correcting the steering to keep it straight..
The tracking was checked using the string round the back method, at the MOT a month ago.. looked pretty good..

I will check lower arm bushes soon too, although if these were bad the MOT would have picked it up..

any thoughts ?

from fading memory the V6 was an absolute joy to drive on all surfaces
John
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Hi John,

I thought from the title of this thread you were running Peugeot 205 wheels! A natural assumption on my part as my 1.9TD does indeed ride on 205GTi 1.9 Speedline alloys and good they look too.

On that car, which I have in active use at the moment pre-it's MOT before it resumes its winter hibernation I have 195/55 15 Pirelli P6000 "Ditchfinders". Handling is excellent in all respects. Even roll is not too bad. Comfort is a little comprimised but well compensated for by the handling you gain :lol:

My 2.1TD rides on 205/60 15 tyres on Activa wheels and I must say I find the same as you. Again, like you, I've gone through the front suspension and had it retracked. It flew through its MOT last month so no problems. It is nowhere near as sure-footed feeling as the 1.9TD on narrower tyres. very strange.

No such problems on my Activa with the same tyre sizes but that's not a fair compaison :wink: :lol:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
MG TF 135
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R

Post by jgra1 »

thanks Jim

ditchfinders ;)

hmm..

may borrow my friend nexus's 2.0 injection and put my four wheels on that, to see if its the car ...

dont tell him !
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

they can only fail the rear arms if they find any play, or they are that bad the wheel is touching the inner wing,

i new a 1.7TD bx once when my customer went to veiw it i told him it would need both rear arms overhauling, because both rear wheels were leaning an exsecive amount, it then went through three MOTs before they failed, even though we discused the angle of the rear wheels with the tester, he could not find ny play as were the bearings had colapsed the rollers were wedged between the arm and its pivot
regards malcolm
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
MG TF 135
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R

Post by jgra1 »

hi Malcolm thanks

In my post I was referring to the front lower arms.. but will have a check on the rear ones anyway.. they were not checked in the MOT :)

wheels are all upstanding and correct tho...

J
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

Are your droplinks ok? are tyre pressures correct? i run 33 front and 31 rear and mine seems fines to be honest. i can let go of the wheel on a motorway and it would just go straight ahead :) Over undulations it seems fine as well not requiring any effort really...
XantiaMan
My Cars:

Post by XantiaMan »

I've not noticed any tramlining either, and both my bottom arm bushes are past their best, and my ARB links knock too! My pressures are also 33 front, 31 rear.
2003 Ford Mondeo ST220
2002 Ford Fiesta Zetec S
2001 Ford Puma 1.7 VCT
2008 Ford Transit Mk7
http://www.facebook.com/kidmans" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
handyman
My Cars:

Post by handyman »

Hi John, have you checked that the rims are wide enough to take a 205 profile tyre. They need to be a minimum of 5.5J to 6J wide. Check the vehicle spec. If they are fitted to rims that are too narrow, they will balloon and pick up all the irregularities in the road. As the steering on all hydraulic Citroens is self-centering, I would suggest the steering is toeing out too much, by a long way!

The other problems that may causing the bad handling are either the tyres not rotating in the correct direction or the tyres not seated on the rims or the tyres badly out of balance.

Check the tyres for a rotational direction arrow. You only need one to be wrong and the handling will suffer. Tyres not seated correctly can be seen by checking the ring at the bead seal, it should be the same all the way around. As for balancing, go to a decent tyre fitting company, like ASF in Jarvis Brook.

Email me off line if you cannot solve it.

Handyman
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

handyman wrote:Hi John, have you checked that the rims are wide enough to take a 205 profile tyre. They need to be a minimum of 5.5J to 6J wide. Check the vehicle spec. If they are fitted to rims that are too narrow, they will balloon and pick up all the irregularities in the road.
I was wondering the same, but when I re-read the original post I realise John is saying that the tracking problems were also there with the original smaller tyres...
As the steering on all hydraulic Citroens is self-centering, I would suggest the steering is toeing out too much, by a long way!
Can't quite make sense of this ? I presume you mean all hydraulic Citroen's with power steering ?

Unfortunately later Citroen's like the Xantia don't have self centering steering in the way that a diravi equipped CX etc had - the centering is just plain old steering geometry and tyre forces from toe-in / toe-out like any other conventional car. (toe-out in the case of the Xantia)

Too much toe-out (within reason) is going to make the self centering stronger, not weaker. I can't recall the exact figures but it's something like 0 to 3mm toe-out for the Xantia, with somewhere near the middle being optimum depending on tyres. (Mine is set in the middle of the range at the moment)

If the tyres are good and properly inflated, and the toe-out is within spec, I'd be checking the lower arm bushes, lower hub balljoint, and steering tie-rod balljoints - any source of slack is going to cause wandering when hitting bumps, especially if there is not much toe-out. A bit more toe-out can often disguise these problems but its best to find the real cause.

Regards,
Simon
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
MG TF 135
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R

Post by jgra1 »

chaps thanks will get the tracking checked properly

hanyman thanks, the wheels are alloys from an exclsuive, so they are only fitted with the exclusive standard size.

Will check links and bushes.. it drives well otherwise, handles great for a standard car.. but it's just those journeys when your not trying.. it seems to weave about and you constantly have to hold the wheel to avoid it twisting on bumps etc. makes for tireing driving :twisted:

will let you know

John