xantia engine swap comments please!!!!!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

admiral51
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: C5 X7 2009 2.0 HDI VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
C4 2010 2.0 HDi Exclusive VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

xantia engine swap comments please!!!!!

Post by admiral51 »

Hi all
think ive turned the corner and finally finished paying for christmas (not saying which one :lol: ) and i now need an upgrade from a n/a to a turbo :)

may seem strange but i dont really want to change the car its a 1.9 d xantia that ive got all the niggly problems sorted and dont want the hassle of sorting out a new car from scratch ie cooling fans heater A/C etc etc so have decided to go for an engine swap
the reasons for this are as follows
1. cambelt due for change
2.all spheres due for change( no point doing just a couple :D )
3.recently had all discs/pads/handbrake cables changed + both droplinks
4. four new tyres in last 3000 miles
5.bodywork and interior very good

my current steed is a 1996 P plate so given the above work needed anyway what sort of pitfalls am i looking at in this mad idea of mine

i woulld as a matter of course change the cambelt/water pump aux belt on a new engine no extra cost as this is due anyway

spheres need changing so just need to get correct ones for a turbo???

would any 1.9 td from a similar age pug/cit fit and how much extra electrical work am i looking at :oops: :oops:
any ideas how i go about informing DVLA/ insurance of engine change??

thanks in advance

colin
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Hi Colin,

This is certainly feasible and will be easiest if you go for a pre-'95 donor engine with fully mechanical injection. This makes the electrical side MUCH easier and you'll not have to worry about an ECU or Keypad immobiliser. The later pump can be used but you'll have to obtain the ECU, keypad and code that goes along with it plus the part of the engine loom that links the ECU to the pump. With the mechanical pump, all you need is the existing stop solenoid wiring. In theory you need to arrange for the electrical cold start advance and glowplug post-heating but in reality you can live without it.

You'll also have no worries about EGR valves, cold idle control and the associated electrical/vacuum plumbing with a mechanical setup.

The best donor will be a Xantia engine so that you have all the right mounts and exhaust manifold/turbo although a Peugeot 405 donor would be pretty much just as applicable. Note though that the 405 uuses a top mounted intercooler whereas the xantia uses a front mounted one.

The exhaust front section would need to be swapped and preferably the gearbox as I think the N/A diesel used different ratios, certainly the clutch is different, the Turbo uses the pull clutch whereas the NA uses the conventional "push" type. You may also need to swap the clutch cable. So, ideally, get a complete engine and gearbox. The existing driveshafts should be OK. You may need a trubo rad as the intercoooler clips to the rad in a turbo and the old NA rad may not have the right mounts.

You'll need all the induction piping and intercooler although the airbox should be either the same or very similar.

Whilst you have the new engine out and accessible it would be a very good idea to swap the cambelt and waterpump whilst access is easy. Depending on history, it might not be a bad idea to make a pre-emptive strike on the head gasket and have the head overhauled (skimmed, valves lapped and clearances checked/reset)

As a matter of course, replace the clutch whilst it is all apart.

DVLA won't be a problem. Just inform them of an engine change. There is no duty change involved. Your insurance company may not be quite so sanguine as you'll effectively have a modified car in their eyes. It might be an idea to have a word with a few to see how the change might affect your premiums.

That's for starters Colin. As I say, very doable and not really hugely difficult with an early engine. I'm sure I've missed loads in this first stab but it'll all come out in the wash!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

hi Colin.. I have been thinking about this too as I have a TD engine and want a project , and there seems to be a limited supply of broken TD's out there at the moment.

Could almost use my engine/box in yours .. :) (1997 Xant 20K cambelt)

I once brought a car that had [allegedely] gone from N/A to turbo, and the insurance co wanted an engineers report to say it had been fitted correctly... think it cost me £100 IIRC

turns out the car had always been a turbo anyway and I think the number plates / VIN were from a non turbo!! lesson learn't

John
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I would agree with Colin. The earlier fully mechanical engine is a much better bet, not just because its easier to fit but it will be potentially more reliable. There are differences between those used in the Xantia and other vehicles though, mounting brackets, auxiluary drive systems, camshaft etc. Although these parts can be swapped it would be far easier to fit the correct engine.
admiral51
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: C5 X7 2009 2.0 HDI VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
C4 2010 2.0 HDi Exclusive VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

Post by admiral51 »

Thanks for the replies very informative and eye opening :) :)

have thought a bit more about this now and have come to the conclusion that it will more than likely be to costly to do just as a "project"

i need the engine first off and my guess is that will mean buying a car to go with it :lol: :lol:

looks like i will spend the time and money doing the jobs that need doing to my non turbo looks like to be in the region of £200 for cambelt/water pump/spheres/fluid change etc with me doing a lot of the work :) :)

after all i do know this engine and its been pretty good so far.............................................maybe thats tempting fate :D :D :D

cheers for the advice guys

colin