Xantia Brakes

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

xantaxi
My Cars:

Xantia Brakes

Post by xantaxi »

Help something is wrong weith my brakes, I just had front pads fitted and since then there seems to be a delay in operating the pedal and the brakes working'
When I brake car does slow but then brakes seem to suddenly grab, Is it the pads or just a coincidence, pedal feels ok.
Tony
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

How recently were they fitted? If there is a wear ridge on the disk then this is probably the only braking surface you have until the new pads bed in. The effect would be as you describe, some slowing but poor braking, followed by fierce grabbing.
xantaxi
My Cars:

Post by xantaxi »

they have been fitted for about 800 miles now, but saying that there is quite a deep wear ridge on the discs, do you think it would be advisable to replace the discs
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

800 miles would seem to be enought to take the newness out. Without seeing your disks, I don't know if the wear is a problem. I'd be inclined to whip the pads out again and to see if they are making good contact with the disks.I would have expected the car to pull to one side though if that were the case. Further research: You may have drawn air in while pushing the calipers back for the new pads. Try bleeding.
The new pads may be a harder compound and have a different feel. Were they the same brand as last time?
The calipers may slide in their mountings and now be jammed having been disturbed. Somebody who knows your model better than I do will doubtless read this and advise.
The pistons in the caliper may not have been cleaned before they were pushed back and may be jammed in the caliper bore (which may itself be corroded slightly due to water in fluid).
David W
My Cars:

Post by David W »

As Tom mentions in the middle of his post it does sound a bit like air so I would bleed the brakes before I worried about any other cause.
David
xantaxi
My Cars:

Post by xantaxi »

I just bled one of the front brakes and it solved it for a little while, it is now still pausing but not as bad, I am definitely on the right track with this, I will now bleed all of the brakes in turn.
Is it possible to use one of those self bleeding kits with a citroen?
As my wife is about as much help as a glass hammer.
Thanks again
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Just wedge the brake pedal down using a piece of wood against the seat base, be carefull not to damage it though, then with the engine running bleed away, don't let the LHM level go too low or the pump will suck air in.
Not like other brakes these Cits.
Dave
xantaxi
My Cars:

Post by xantaxi »

Hey thanks Dave, Thats probably what i done wrong in the first place, I will get some LHM and do it tomorrow, ill let you know how it goes..Thanks Guys