Xsara Clutch woes

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Pug106Dave
My Cars:

Xsara Clutch woes

Post by Pug106Dave »

I wonder if anyone has any advice for me, car is a 52 reg xsara Vtr 1.6 16v.

Over Christmass the clutch at times went very stiff in operation, particularly around the biting point, this would come and go during driving and I assumed it was just water/crud somewhere or a worn cable. Last week I noticed that when the pedal is depressed there is a continuous squeaking noise, loud enough so you can hear it inside the car with the engine running. I was guessing this was the release or thrust bearing?
The clutch was behaving fine and is not showing any signs of slipping.

However now the pedal has gone rather light, the biting point has dropped down to nearly on the floor and it's a battle to get it into gear, particularly 1st and reverse.

Does this mean I need a new clutch, or am I going to pay a lot of money getting it done and still have the same problem??

Car is only on 60k, so would like to think I don't need a new clutch

Thanks in advance

Dave
mezuk04a
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04a »

Just after xmas my mums 1.9D ZX had the exact same symptoms, new clutch fitted and everything is fine.
Golf 55' 1.9TD
davek-uk
My Cars:

Post by davek-uk »

Sorry to say that is pretty much the same as happened to my Multispace - 1.6 16v too. And also just before Christmas!

New clutch solved the problems. However I'm a bit happier as it was at 184k. But not as happy as I should be as two weeks later the head gasket started to blow! DOH!!!

Dave
Pug Rifter long (20) - 41mpg - Gutsy for a 1.5!
Xantia 1.9 TD Temp.2 Break (97) - 208K@42mpg - Resting again.
Berlingo Multispace 1.6 16v (51) - 184K@36mpg - My shed! Still runs 15° retarded...