dispatch 1.9D damaged head

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

colpac

dispatch 1.9D damaged head

Post by colpac »

The other day i decided to change the glow plugs as starting first thing had got very poor. On undoing one of the plugs the cylinder head literally broke away around the thread part, leaving nothing to screw a glow plug back into. People have spoke of heli coils to put a new thread in but im not sure this will be possible as the part where the glow plug fitted was raised out of the head and this has completely broke away.

I am presuming i need a new head on it so need to find out which other cars i can get the parts from as there are plenty of citreons peugeots around its just knowing what ones will fit.

Its a 1996 1.9 non turbo diesel, its says its 1905cc on the log book.

Any advice would be welcome.

Thanks
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

:shock: Never known that to happen before but I know Glowplugs can go in very tightly...

There are a wide range of possible donors. The 1.9D was used in a load of vehicles, the 405D, a few early Xantias, the ZX 1.9D, loads of PSA vans and so on. The bigger PSA vans used the 2.1 engine which is very different.

I may be well off the mark here but I'm fairly certain the 1.8 (XUD7) head is identical and again these were found in everything from 205s upwards. Even some Rovers and Suzuki Jeeps had them. Another possible donor is an old LDV Sherpa van.

I'm almost fairly certain there is no great difference in a 1.7 or 1.9 Turbo head that would stop you using it. After all, they're all flat and the compression ratio (which is lower in the Turbo engies) is determined by the pistons rather than the head, which is flat-faced. I may be wrong here but someone will soon come and give the correct answer.

Breakers are full of dead XUD engined vehicles but beware that most will be there because the engine is dead, either because of an overheat leading to a head warped beyond repair or because the cambelt has gone and the cam bearing caps have snapped.

The good news is the head on a non-turbo XUD is a piece of cake to replace.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
colpac

Post by colpac »

so what engine do i actually have? i have seen one head that is from a dw8 engine, or do i need the other one(xud)
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

You have the XUD9. The DW8 was the last of the XUD-type engines and a head from one may well fit. The DW8 was used in low-end vans and basic model 206s just before they received HDi engines.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Been there, avoided the head change (just!):

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... hp?t=21036

I have heard of few more going this way during plug changes since :cry:

If you need a new head, then any should fit, but you need to check all the holes etc are in the right place before torquing the head bolts down! Haynes used to indicate that the TD engines had different cam timing to the N/A models, but I don't know if this true anymore. They also had 3-angle valve seats and and a few other mods.

AFAIK that repair on my Sister's ZX is still holding 15 months later.
Richard W
colpac

Post by colpac »

RichardW wrote:Been there, avoided the head change (just!):

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... hp?t=21036

I have heard of few more going this way during plug changes since :cry:

If you need a new head, then any should fit, but you need to check all the holes etc are in the right place before torquing the head bolts down! Haynes used to indicate that the TD engines had different cam timing to the N/A models, but I don't know if this true anymore. They also had 3-angle valve seats and and a few other mods.

AFAIK that repair on my Sister's ZX is still holding 15 months later.
Did you have enought thread to screw the plug in a little bit? I have tried a similar repair and it lastede about 5 seconds before blowing the plug out. I did use filler though instead of chemical metal and no red loctite !

I might have another try now i know someone else has suceeded with this bodge :roll:
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

RichardW wrote:Haynes used to indicate that the TD engines had different cam timing to the N/A models, but I don't know if this true anymore. They also had 3-angle valve seats and and a few other mods.
NA and Turbo engines do indeed have different cams. the Turbo cam being a lot "milder".. I'd use your present cam but do check the valve clearances and reset if necessary.

Turbo valves are also uprated. they are both made of good stainless steel and as you say, three-angle seats :D

That was an interesting repair Richard :D Chemical metal is wonderful stuff in my experience. I used some to repair an intercooler elbow on son's 200SX and it's still good to this day..
Jim

RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

"Did you have enought thread to screw the plug in a little bit?"

Yes, we were able to screw the plug in and nip it up before sealing it in. If you have tried and blown the plug out, then the thread is going to be a goner. The only other thing that MIGHT work is to coat the thread in CM then screw the plug in, lather the whole lot with CM and leave it overnight to go off - the worst that will happen is that you will still need to take the head off.....
Richard W
uncle buck
My Cars:

Post by uncle buck »

Why not have a go at welding it... http://www.easyweld.com

I watched my mate weld a motorcycle sump with the rods & a good blow torch & it really does work.

You used to be able to get the rods at Machine Mart but I can't seem to find it on their website.
2006 C4 1.6 HDi 16V (92) non FAP
2001 Xsara II 1.4 LX
2001 Renault Laguna II 1.9dCi Sport Tourer
colpac

Post by colpac »

managed to get it fixed today using a similar method, there was still a little thread showing but not enough for the glow plug thread to catch on, so a little adjusting of the glow plug with a dremel and i could get it in to tighten up. Took it back out and out some thread lock and seal on it and then put it back in. Then a bit of chemical metal round it to replace the damaged part and got it all back running.

Another plus point was i found out i have a bosch pump so as of monday i am on the veggie oil trail !!
colpac

Post by colpac »

Well i never waited until monday and im now on day two of a 50/50 mix and its running fine and smelling even better!!!

So do i now change the fuel filter after around 500 miles? and then thats all i have to do?

Thanks