HDi Misfire Problem

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

DHallworth
Donor 2023
My Cars:

HDi Misfire Problem

Post by DHallworth »

Posting here as its the same HDi engine in the Citroens, hopefully get a big more attention!

When i start my 306 HDi from cold it misses for around 3 - 5 seconds.

Once this has passed it runs fine all day, but sounds horrid when it starts.

When the engine is cold and just started it shakes through the car, so i am pretty sure its missing on at least one cylinder.

I have been offered a set of injectors cheap, but the numbers on the caps are different, so i might just swap the electrical gubbins on the top of them round like i did on my brothers.

Any suggestions guys?

Regards

David.
'98 Xantia Activa V6 :-D
'00 XM V6 Exclusive
'09 C5 2.7 HDi Exclusive
‘10 C5 3.0 HDi Exclusive
'12 C6 3.0 HDi Exclusive
'15 C4 BlueHDi Feel
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

the numbers on the top shouldnt matter as long as you swap them as a set & they are the same make as the ones that were in it.
swapping bits from the injector soesent sound like a good idea, how do you know if its a mechanical or electrical fault ?
marsalek
My Cars: Xantia X2 HDi109
C5 X7 HDi240

Post by marsalek »

David, do not hurry changing (all) the injectors! Are all of them faulty? The ECU is capable of separately driving the injectors to keep the smooth run of the engine, so IMO it can manage with three old and on new injector.

Firstly I would check all the glowplugs (maybe not necessary, but for the peace in my mind :-) AND I would use some diesel additive for cleaning injectors in say tripple concentration. Works wonder! After a couple of hundred km it should disappear.

Karel