ZX Steering wheel removal

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

sooty
My Cars:

ZX Steering wheel removal

Post by sooty »

Seeing a member's problem of a ZX heater matrix leak and where the whole dash and steering wheel, etc. has to be removed.
I sometime ago tried to remove my steering wheel for something which I can't remember and I failed in doing so. My ZX has a air bag system in the wheel centre and removed this OK and also the nut. I made a make-shift puller arrangement to try to pull the wheel off, without damaging the vinyl covering and using a rubber headed mallet from the underside. Tried hitting the column shaft with the nut loosely fitted to protect the threads, but it would not budge.
In the past with any type of steering wheel, one sharp blow normally loosen's the wheel but not this one. Any tips how remove this, if need too in the future.
Thanks Sooty
Andyman
My Cars:

Post by Andyman »

Sometimes steering wheels like to weld themselves to the column,
When i've had a really tight one, (You need two people for this) With the air bag out the way undo the steering wheel nut until the top of the nut is flush with the end of the thread of the column,
Get your partner/friend to sit behind the drivers seat lean forward and pull the steering wheel with their hands placed at 4 o'clock and 10 o'clock Adjacent to the spokes and at the same time you then hit the centre of steering wheel nut with a large diameter brass drift and a 3 or 4lb hammer avoiding your partner when you swing for it, The nut should prevent any of the thread getting burred/damaged and also stop the wheel against the nut when it suddenly releases, Undo the nut remove wheel job done. Good luck Chris.