1559cc diesel

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

CONFUSED

1559cc diesel

Post by CONFUSED »

when (eventuatly)the engine fires up and run very rough (sounds like a petrol engine with a misfire or with the choke out when hot}runs quite smoothly when revs increase but is accompanied by clouds (makes the bush fires in australia look like a bar-b-q) of white smoke,the clear pipe from filter to pump indicates very small air bubbles being present. I know air will make the engine difficult to start/run -is this also the reason for the smoke.
ive checked all the unions and joins along the fuel lines and can,t find any thing 3/4 of a tank of fuel? any ideas thanks
ukmobileman
My Cars:

Post by ukmobileman »

sounds like a possible head gasket problem
G J Wright
rabenson
My Cars:

Post by rabenson »

How is it once it warms up - white smoke is often unburnt diesel and could indicate a dodgy glowplug...
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

White smoke is unburnt fuel. If you have ANY air in the fuel system you will get misfiring as it gets in the injector feed pipes. the pressures involved are such that apparently liquids cannot be regarded as totally incompressible and so you can see that a tiny amount of air will cause a major problem. The white smoke is probably part of the charge that should have ignited when the engine misfired and so removing ALL the air should cure your problem and make your engine run better.
Incidentally once the engine has been running for a minute or so (possibly on starting) you can eliminate the glowplugs as they are switched off anyway. I expect on your engine the cold start device simply opens the throttle a little to prevent stalling.
jeremy
Jeremy
sooty
My Cars:

Post by sooty »

I think we need to look back on the history of this fault from previous entries onto the Forum by 'Confused'. IE: pistons hitting the valves, skimming the head and the fitting of two head gaskets etc.
I and many others have already replied to this problem previously.
sooty