Silly Question

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Toby_HDi
My Cars:

Silly Question

Post by Toby_HDi »

As above, it's probably an extremely silly idea nigh on impossible. Not to mention cheaper to buy a Xantia with it outright but:

Could you fit the Hydractive (Activa) suspension onto a non hydractive Xantia.
XantiaMan
My Cars:

Re: Silly Question

Post by XantiaMan »

Toby_HDi wrote:As above, it's probably an extremely silly idea nigh on impossible. Not to mention cheaper to buy a Xantia with it outright but:

Could you fit the Hydractive (Activa) suspension onto a non hydractive Xantia. I ask because I am thinking about eliminating the body roll.
Not a silly question because i was thinking the exact same thing today!

Would be nice to have the benefits of anti-roll on a tweaked diesel. Easiest way is get a cheap Activa and bung a 1.9/2.1/HDi into it. I would think making the suspension to Activa spec would be the proverbial pain in the ass..
2003 Ford Mondeo ST220
2002 Ford Fiesta Zetec S
2001 Ford Puma 1.7 VCT
2008 Ford Transit Mk7
http://www.facebook.com/kidmans" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

In theroy, I guess you could but..

The Activa is a very different animal. The subframes are different, it has a different HA computer, sensors on the steeeing, brakes, front ARB and throttle and many other detail differences that would make the whole job a challange.

Gareth, you're right. Buy an Activa and transplant either a 2.1TD or a 110 HDi, both of which, superficially, should be easy enough as they use the same transmissions. Such Activas were in fact available to our contenential bretheren, along with a V6 8)

A 1.9TD into an Activa would be rather more challanging but could be done, as could an Mi16 engine but you'd need to swap hubs and think about custom engine mounts. :P Don't forget that the 2.0CT engine, whilst a tad on the thirsty side (well a lot actually) is an absolute gem.

Activas can still be got cheaply but beware, they will cost a lot to get sorted. It's worth it though :D :D
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Toby_HDi
My Cars:

Post by Toby_HDi »

Its the anti-roll i was thinking. It was just a thought. Not too sure on using the engine and transplanting into an Activa as the body and shell of my car is in excellent condition.

Probably something to think about when money is free flowing (if ever :))
reblack68
My Cars:

Post by reblack68 »

I'm sure that somebody on here was converting a V6 to Activa suspension. I think he said it would have been much easier to transplant the engine but it would have been a nightmare to insure, so he was putting all the Activa stuff on the V6.
Richard

No French cars of my own at present.
Care of a 1994 205 D.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Toby_HDi wrote:Its the anti-roll i was thinking. It was just a thought. Not too sure on using the engine and transplanting into an Activa as the body and shell of my car is in excellent condition.

Probably something to think about when money is free flowing (if ever :))
Now again, in theroy only, this may not be so hard to do although it would not be quite perfect.

The activa rams, ARBs, wishbones and activa balancing sphere/block could perhaps be transplanted to a normal Xantia along with the activa accumulator, a high-pressure hydraulic supply and the hydraulic roll corrector (just a height corrector sitting on its side but with instant response) and linkages. This lot, involving no complex electronics would give limited anti-roll but you'd loose the fine roll-control that comes about when the hydractive switches to hard mode.

Have a look at the Activa section in the Citroen Technical Guide

http://www.tramontana.co.hu/citroen/guide/guide.php

To see how these aspects work.

reblack68 wrote:I'm sure that somebody on here was converting a V6 to Activa suspension
I reckon that is what he might have done...

Certainly an interesting potential project. It'll work in some fashion as with an Activa you can make it perform "Citarobics" both up and down in the normal way and side to side by manually manipulating the roll corrector linkages :lol: :lol:

I don't think you'd get quite the range of roll correction that a genuine Activa gives by doing this and it may feel a bit crude.

Toby, you need to experience an Activa...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Toby_HDi
My Cars:

Post by Toby_HDi »

[quote="citrojim]

Toby, you need to experience an Activa...[/quote]

I do indeed, have heard rave reviews about it.

I have always been one for toying with my cars in such ways (hence the previous cruise control posts) and just thought it might be possible.

I think it may well get considered when I have the money, I would want it doing properly, as factory set up
davek-uk
My Cars:

Post by davek-uk »

If the Activa subframe is different, wouldn't this present further problems in locating the rams on a 'normal' subframe? I've never had a chance to compare the two, but for Citroen to produce different subframes suggests some real problems for a transplant. I wondered if this transplant could be done to an estate some time ago and the general consensus was that it would be easier to estate-ise an Activa! I'm told HA2 tries to limit body roll, is it very successful?

Dave
Pug Rifter long (20) - 41mpg - Gutsy for a 1.5!
Xantia 1.9 TD Temp.2 Break (97) - 208K@42mpg - Resting again.
Berlingo Multispace 1.6 16v (51) - 184K@36mpg - My shed! Still runs 15° retarded...
Toby_HDi
My Cars:

Post by Toby_HDi »

davek-uk wrote:If the Activa subframe is different, wouldn't this present further problems in locating the rams on a 'normal' subframe? I've never had a chance to compare the two, but for Citroen to produce different subframes suggests some real problems for a transplant. I wondered if this transplant could be done to an estate some time ago and the general consensus was that it would be easier to estate-ise an Activa! I'm told HA2 tries to limit body roll, is it very successful?

Dave
Might be possible to swap the subframes over or get some custom mounts made up. Either way the general opinion is its a big involved job.

Now something else I wonder if the Hydractive system limits is the pitching you get that is common with hydraulic Citroens. When you brake sharply the car pitches forwards and you get a nice pitch back when you plant your foot. Is this also limited in the same way as body roll is?
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

a hydraulic citroen should not pitch when you stamp on the brakes, the hole car should sit down, where as conventional cars throw all the weight forward
regards malcolm