Converting a ZX automatic to manual.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

alanshep

Converting a ZX automatic to manual.

Post by alanshep »

Does anybody have an idea as to how easy would this be?
ZX Diesel 1992.
Peugeot 205 1.1 1990.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

I like your optimism -
You are asking how easy - not "how difficult" :lol:

Honestly its a no-no :

You wil have to replace the centerconsole complete with gearstick and mechanism to control the linkage rods, which also will have to be fitted first time in this car. Meaning possibly missing fitting holes etc.

Then you have to replace the peddle box complete - and install a clutch cable for the first time in this car - again with the risc of missing fitting holes etc.

You will need the flywheel complete with clutch assembly as well as the manual gearbox from the donorcar - because the torque converter is fitted to the flywheel.

Finally there is some minor modification to do (remove) from the carb/throttle body, as you no longer need kickdown linkage etc.
Some electrical wiring must be rerouted, as the reverse lights are taken from different positions on the 2 different g/b units.

Its a major project - to say the least. Comparable to "upgrading" for another engine type.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

as long as you have a doner car its easy, i bought a BX auto years ago with a blonw up gear box, i just converted it to manul, you will need all the component parts Anders mentioned, but as for the kick down linkage you just remove the cable you dont need to remove any more if you dont want to, also the body shell is usualy made universal for either
regards malcolm
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Yes, a donor car is a neccesity, it would be easier if you could transplant engine and gearbox as a unit.