ZX HEATER MATRIX

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

andyg

ZX HEATER MATRIX

Post by andyg »

HELP!!!
It appears i have a water leak somewhere in the car but cannot see as yet any visible evidence, the glass on the inside steams up to such an extent that it is impossible to drive and there is a strong smell of anti-freeze in the car.
If it's the matrix, how easy is it to remove? the Haynes manual states that the ENTIRE dash is to be removed - surely there is an easier way
sooty
My Cars:

Post by sooty »

Have you checked the water level in the radiator header tank. If has not changed, it maybe that the Matrix is not leaking but you have water entry from somewhere, such as from the fresh air vent within the heater assembly. The drain vent pipes maybe blocked from the windscreen grille area within the rear of the engine compartment. With heavy rain or car washing the water may not be draining away but into the car through the heater intake. Worth a check ?
As for the Matrix renewal, its been a popular topic from several members in the past and looks to be a pig of a job as the manual states. Perhaps those who have done this will reply.
Good luck.
sooty
David W
My Cars:

Post by David W »

Andy,
Can you yet see any fluid on the mats? Once it does come you should have that slight oily feel from the anti-freeze. Well worth thinking about other water ingress ideas but sadly you do seem to have the signs of a failed matrix.
Yes they are a devil of a job. Not so much because any one step is highly technical but that there is so much to take out it can get depressing . Also you need absolute attention to detail to ensure every single nut, bolt, clip, wire etc is replaced so everything works afterwards. I think a normal dealer price for this is about £400.
Allow a whole weekend for your first attempt. Take it out on Saturday and have a break, replacing it all on Sunday.
Label every wire etc as you remove each connection. Follow the airbag handling precautions if you have one.
Last of all follow Haynes but make you own list on a bit of A4 for every step...then you can follow it in reverse when refitting knowing it is right for your model. Do not skimp any step when replacing it all because something is a bit difficult, you'll end up with a horrible creaky facia and stuff not working.
Here is a link to a ZX matrix job just before I started getting it all back!!
http://groups.msn.com/honestjohn/proble ... PhotoID=40
Good luck.
David