Attaching Badges?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Attaching Badges?

Post by CitroJim »

Colin (Admiral51) has very kindly given me a set of tailgate badges for my 2.1TD so that people know they are following a Xantia Break and not a Volvo V40 :D (They do look quite similar at a quick glance)

Question is, how do they attach? They are glued on but what glue to use?

My 2.1TD is an ex-company car and it was de-badged to allow a decal to be applied across the tailgate. The letters "Ltd" can just be made out when it is clean and the light falls on it in a certain way.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

they are usualy fixed in place by double sided foamy sticky body trim tape
regards malcolm
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

citronut wrote:they are usualy fixed in place by double sided foamy sticky body trim tape
regards malcolm
Trouble is Malcolm, they're skeletal (not sure that's the right word) and the tape would show through unless you're an absolute dab-hand at trimming the tape to the exact profile of the badges :?
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
admiral51
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: C5 X7 2009 2.0 HDI VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
C4 2010 2.0 HDi Exclusive VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

Post by admiral51 »

Hi Jim,

When i removed them they left an outline on the car and it reminds me of what you get left behind on the boot/hatch lip when you remove the rubber.
reckon it could be a glue that dries clear- maybe a bit like silicone sealant??

sorry to give you more headaches :lol: :lol: :lol:

colin
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

you can get a clear twin stick tape as this is what Colin says is left behind, but im not sure it would be tic (thick) enough to hold badges
regards malcolm
Sturdybloke

Post by Sturdybloke »

What about the pads that hold interior mirros on? I have used them on many of the Ford block letter type badges in the past. I must point out that they are flat and have a large surface area to glue.

Try cutting the pad into small bits with a sharp scissors :?
XantiaMan
My Cars:

Post by XantiaMan »

Originally it would have cut to shape double sided tape, as it would take forever to trim your own tape i would advise clear silicone sealent after degreasing the boot lid and badge, it wont hold as strong as the original tape though. You could also use a smear of sikaflex if you dont mind the badge being on there forever as it will never come off again on one piece.
2003 Ford Mondeo ST220
2002 Ford Fiesta Zetec S
2001 Ford Puma 1.7 VCT
2008 Ford Transit Mk7
http://www.facebook.com/kidmans" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i herd silicon sealer is corosive and can lift the paint of car body work
regards malcolm
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

citronut wrote:i herd silicon sealer is corosive and can lift the paint of car body work
regards malcolm
Depends on exact type Malcolm.
Some use vinegar acid as the solvent, but most types uses water.
The difference is clearly detected by your nose :wink:
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Thanks all, I'll give the vinegar-free RTV a go. At least they'll come off if necessary. I won't do it just yet as the car needs a really good polish and I'll leave it until I've done that.

The car is white and rather a lot of white comes off on the chamios when I wash it.

Washing it today, the old company logo and name was briefly revealed on the doors. It originally belonged to a carpet company in Basingstoke :lol:
Jim