Present forum access woes.

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

AndersDK
My Cars:

Present forum access woes.

Post by AndersDK »

Dear forum members.

Please may I inform you, that being a forum moderator means exclusive rights to move, edit & delete submissions from members - only.
I have no access to member accounts, forum setup or the forum server.
Only the forum owner and admin have these rights.

I'm fully aware of the present forum accessibility problems, but cant help it.
You may already have noticed the resultant lack of activity on the forum from me - for the very same reasons you have seen yourself.

I donno whats going on and have no information at present.

Cheers, Anders
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Last evening I had a chat with the BXC Webmaster (who also looks after the FCF) and he revealed in some detail what the ongoing problem is.

Whilst the FCF and BXC use the same host, the FCF database, due to its size, cannot be uploaded to the new server due to currently unresolvable technical issues with the hosting company over file sizes. As a result, the FCF database is still resident on the old host in the USA. This means that for every forum transaction, a link has to be made from the UK where the forum "front end" is hosted over to the database in the USA. This results in a severe performance bottleneck.

Be assured the problem is being worked upon with some vigour and solutions are being investigated.

Please be patient for now, safe in the knowledge the problem is not being ignored. If it is any comfort, the forum Admins and Moderators are having an even harder time than us users. Forum Admin is particularly difficult at the moment.

More news will be posted here as soon as there is something positive to report.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

Thanks for posting that Jim, just knowing what's going on makes using this site more bearable. Why it's been kept secret thus far I don't know.
Cheers!
elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Post by elma »

Exactly.
It's a shame that this wasn't out in the open, but at least we know now.
I think this post will do the forum a lot of good.
I for one was fed up and annoyed, ready to leave.
Now I know something is being done I'll be hanging around.
I think we've lost a fair chunk of members though, shame this wasn't said earlier.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

A brief update:

Work continues behind the scenes. Currently we are looking at hosting the forum database on another server and investigating the technical issues to do so without loss of data or an interruption in service. The latter worries me as a few backups I have taken in ordder to "dummy run" and prove the exercise have proved to be corrupt, more than likely due to the same problems as experienced with the forum itself.

EDIT: The work is now complete and the problem resolved. Moved to French car Chat and made normal.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...