205 GTi starting problem

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

trevob

205 GTi starting problem

Post by trevob »

Intermittent problem. Turn key, lights all come on but starter motor does not operate. Push starts no problem.
This can happen when warm, hot or cold, wet or dry.
I recently had a Thatcham Immobiliser fitted, is it possible that the installer (TOAD) has buggered something up? Should I get them back to check?
When the immobiliser is on and I try to start the car, some noise is made, and this isnt the same as when the fault occurs, so this leads me to believe that the immobiliser is working as it should.
The car is a H reg 205 GTi 1600, with 111,000 miles on it and running with no problems other than this.
Thanks.
AndyGimpy
My Cars:

Post by AndyGimpy »

Its just possible you have a dodgy starter motor. Next time this fault happens try to hit the starter motor and see if you get a response. you could have a sticky solenoid. first things to check are the battery connections are clean and tight and the same for the connection on the starter motor. check the earthlead connection from the battery where it joins the engine also. If not this you could have a dodgy ignition switch. But I would try the brute approach on the starter first.
chrisd
My Cars:

Post by chrisd »

I've owned three peugeots now (one being a 205GTI) and they've all sufferef from bad earthing problems resulting in intermittent starting problems. Check the earth connection on the back of the starter motor / solenoid. Romove the wires and thoroughly clean...refit and ensure connections are tight. From memory the 205 earth wire onto the solenoid was very thin and had come adrift. Falling the about you couls have a doggy starter motor / solenoid.
Hope this helps.
Chris
trevob

Post by trevob »

Top advice, chaps.
Did the whole lot on Saturday - cleaned battery connections, connections to solenoid, checked the earth. And what did it in the end? A whack on the Starter Motor with a small hammer. Is it likely to do this again? Thanks for your help.
Trev
AndyGimpy
My Cars:

Post by AndyGimpy »

It will very likely keep happening till it gives up the ghost. A new starter motor is the best answer sold at Andyspares @ £55.00+vat exchange give them a call