Xantia clutch clip metal???

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

rpaco
My Cars:

Post by rpaco »

Does anyone know for sure if the Peugeot 405 clip is metal and fits the Xantia? I have seen this suggested in other threads.
Also Europarts are rumored to sell a metal one, but can't find any details.

Have just replaced mine and don't want to do it again unless its the final time.
BTW taking the seat out, I found the bolts were a tight fit in the black spacers, making it very slow to remove them, so have now drilled out spacers so bolt can turn within them freely. Also annoyed with rectangular captive washers under the bolt heads which jam on the top of the thread every half turn, ok to put in but very tedious to take out. I am sure they are both safety measures to prevent the seat leaping out of the car, but still over done.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

not sure about the metal clip body but usualy when they go its because the clutch is on its way out which puts to much laod on the cable, which in turn puts to much strain on the clip
regards malcolm
smokegetsinyereyes
My Cars:

Replacing your clutch cable clip

Post by smokegetsinyereyes »

I'v just replaced my second plastic clip in three weeks, you dont need to remove the seat or the dash. If you have a 1/4 drive socket set,10mm,13mm spanners(ring, not swan neck type) 1/4 ratchet, 13mm deep 1/4 drive socket and some sellotape and super glue. (sounds like blue peter doesent it)

The cable should be fully slackened off at the gearbox, both the nut & locknut removed & the rubber in the operating arm.
The inner cable should then be pushed up in towards the pedal.

The bolt that holds the clutch pedal in situ (mine looks like a bit of stud bar with two nuts locked together at one end) can be slackened with the 13mm 1/4 deep socket through the hole in the pedal housing beside the brake, the nut held with the 13mm ringer, the bolt will then pull out towards the brake pedal.

The clutch pedal will then drop down & old/broken clip removed from the pedal.
When reassembling the pedal sellotape the spring,spacer & nylon bush to the pedal from the brake side.

Fit the plastic clip to the pedal and put the spring clip halfway on.
The pedal can then be raised back to front up to where the cable is, push the cable fully into the plastic clip, then snap on the spring clip.

The pedal can then be manouvered into position, the bolt pushed in from the brake side through the sellotape on the pedal (holding all the bits in place, sellotape doesnt do any harm to leave it there)

The 8mm nut off the other side should then be superglued into the 13mm ring spanner ( a few dabs usually does) The nut and spanner can then be raised into place and started by tightening with the 13mm deep 1/4 drive socket and ratchet. When tight the spanner will break away from the nut.

Pull inner cable back through in the engine bay, refit the rubber, nut & lock nut, adjust cable to suit.

You will probably find this way handy enough (Idid especialy the second time at the side of the road)

P.S.I HAVE BEEN TRYING TO SOURCE THE PEUGEOT METAL CLIP TALKED ABOUT, I HAVE BEEN TO CHARLES HURST PARTS THAT DO CITROEN, PEUGEOT & RENAULT. THEY HAD SOME PUEGOET CLIPS UP ON MICROFICHE BUT THE 405 LOOKED DIFFERENT, YOU COULD SPEND HOURS LOOKING THROUGH THE MULTITUDE OF CLUTCH CABLE ENDS I DIDNT SEE ANY THING THAT LOOKED LIKE THE CITROEN ONE.

I have an address and ph number for a firm who supposedly make a metal replacement for it, tried their e-mail to-day but it was returned, I will try and ring to-morrow.
Here's the address and ph no: If you find any thing out will you please let me know, if I find any thing I'll post it up, Im currently waiting on mine going CRACK again, think I'll replace the cable as well.

C.G.S Autosystems,
Unit 1,2A Theresa St,
Gloucester,
Gloucestershire,
GL1 5PR
Ph: 01452 311110
Fax: 01452 504284

Hope this is of some help, Good luck, Neill..............
If it aint broke dont fix it!!!
lolingram
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by lolingram »

I am totally unconvinced on this... I have had 2 clips go on a high mileage Xantia (200+k) - once well before a clutch change, and again fairly soon after a recent new clip...
not sure about the metal clip body but usualy when they go its because the clutch is on its way out which puts to much laod on the cable, which in turn puts to much strain on the clip
R.I.P. January 2010.
XM 2.1 auto VSX 1996 - Bosch Inj, Xantia HDi 90 estate 1999, Xantia 1.9TD 1997
Previously...
GS 1970, Dyane 1974, Xantia 94 VSX TD, XM 94, 2.1 auto - Lucas Inj, XM 92 2.1 estate - Lucas Inj
smokegetsinyereyes
My Cars:

Clutch cable clip

Mine's a 93 1.9 td lx with 181k on it the clutch was only replaced 6-9 mths ago, so there's a good chance it's the cable needs replacing.

Neill......................
Gregg1100
My Cars:

Post by Gregg1100 »

Hi All,
Thinking about this cursed clip set to to thinking about making my own.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v676/ ... hClip3.jpg

This would be same length as clip, with clevis pin in same place( to fit to pedal ), but with a drilled and cutaway for cable nipple to go inside box and be pulled forward and secured by tiny split pin fitted behind nipple end. Jusy like a bicycle brake lever cable fitting. Clutch can still be adjusted for cable height.
Worth a thought
Greg
:D

90 Kawa EN 500 A1- was running---now dead again
04 Kawa GPZ 500 E10 -alive and well.
54 Fiat Punto 1.2 Dynamic

Old Xantias- 16v 2litre 1997 VSX, 2 x 1993 TD Lx, S2 SX 1.9TD
Old Bx's--3 x 1.9 D, 1x 1.6 Auto, 1 x 1.9 GTi, 1 x 1.9 TZS
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

Don't buy the clip from Euro Car Parts. They sell genuine clips under the same part number as Citroen but it's old stock that comes without the metal clip (sold in bags of 5 from dealers) to hold the cable to the plastic part, get it complete from a dealer as it works out cheaper.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

lolingram wrote:I am totally unconvinced on this... I have had 2 clips go on a high mileage Xantia (200+k) - once well before a clutch change, and again fairly soon after a recent new clip...

maybe the first clip fitted prior to clutch replacement was stained to the point were it was week, so it broke shortly after clutch replacement,

usualy when the clutch is near the end of its life the pedel opperation becomes very heavy which will/dose put a lot of strain on the clip,

im not saying the cable cant cause this as well
regards malcolm
lolingram
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by lolingram »

I'm not saying it isn't due to the clutch getting heavy either... just that often this does not explain the breakages, which shoid NOT continue to happen. PSA should have modified this yonks ago.

Bloody bad show.
maybe the first clip fitted prior to clutch replacement was stained to the point were it was week, so it broke shortly after clutch replacement,

usualy when the clutch is near the end of its life the pedel opperation becomes very heavy which will/dose put a lot of strain on the clip
R.I.P. January 2010.
XM 2.1 auto VSX 1996 - Bosch Inj, Xantia HDi 90 estate 1999, Xantia 1.9TD 1997
Previously...
GS 1970, Dyane 1974, Xantia 94 VSX TD, XM 94, 2.1 auto - Lucas Inj, XM 92 2.1 estate - Lucas Inj
Gregg1100
My Cars:

Post by Gregg1100 »

Hi All,
A better pic of what I am on about;

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v676/ ... img004.jpg

Could never draw properly, lol. :D :shock: .
A little pad could be stuck on front where cable exits to stop metal to metal noise when clutch released .
Greg

90 Kawa EN 500 A1- was running---now dead again
04 Kawa GPZ 500 E10 -alive and well.
54 Fiat Punto 1.2 Dynamic

Old Xantias- 16v 2litre 1997 VSX, 2 x 1993 TD Lx, S2 SX 1.9TD
Old Bx's--3 x 1.9 D, 1x 1.6 Auto, 1 x 1.9 GTi, 1 x 1.9 TZS
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

I'm not suer that the inclusion of the springclip is related to the age/ design of clip.

In the past, i've had both black and white types supplied with clips, from both dealers and third parties, but a few months ago, my local dealer sold me one without a clip, saying that they were no longer included.

if there's no sign that the clutch is on the way out, it's well worth the trouble of fitting a new cable if a clip breaks twice in succession. There may be little difference in 'feel', but the strain on the clip caused by an old cable can be too much for it.
smokegetsinyereyes
My Cars:

clutch cable clip (The continuing saga)

Bought a new clutch cable and clip from euro carparts to-day £32.00 all in,
the clip came complete with the metal spring clip attached, think it & the spring clip is somthing like a fiver plus vat. I had been talking with a turner/machinist in work to -day and he said he would try and make up some type of a forked end up to suit. I'll let you know what he comes up with, in the meanwhile I'll go ahead and fit the new cable and plastic clip and see what happens. The pedal in mine sits very high, like about 4" above the brake pedal, if you adjust it so that it's level with the brake you tend to loose clutch operation, maybe the old cable just plain shagged? The action does seem heavy!
Neill..........
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

with the hight of your pedel the clutch is at the end of its life, no dout about it
regards malcolm
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

citronut wrote:not sure about the metal clip body but usualy when they go its because the clutch is on its way out which puts to much laod on the cable, which in turn puts to much strain on the clip
regards malcolm
Often it may be, but my '94 had a new clutch 30k miles ago, the pedal is light and it still broke a clip.

I've got 3 clips where the metal part broke, the most recent one to break was a new white one and the plastic is pretty much intact on that one, it was the metal that broke.
slim123

Post by slim123 »

I'm with Malcolm on this one.

The clutch clip although not the best of designs will do it's job very well as long as everything else in the mechanism is working fine.

In the past I have found that it can be either the plastic that breaks or the metal retaining clip.

I know that some folks have mentioned that it has happened after the new clutch has been fitted but, how long was the clip in place whilst the old clutch was in? Also what about the quality of some clutch kits? There is one very common aftermarket brand that I wouldn't fit. What about the quality of the workmanship in fitting the new clutch, I can think of one case where a chap had his clutch done and it was still heavy, just because the fitter diddn't even pull the arm out of the bell housing, clean, grease and fit it back. (I call them fitters as some of these chaps at the mass garages are not mechanics, they simply fit parts)

In my own humble opinion, fit either Valeo or LUK nuffin else except genuine and I think that you will find that a genuine clutch is a re-boxed and more expensive Valeo.

Well thats my tuppence worth.......

Regards
Slim.