wheel rubbing on inner wing

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

baffsfishing

wheel rubbing on inner wing

Post by baffsfishing »

hi all
I went to go to work today and my rear driver wheel is rubbing on my inner wing, it just seems to have gone over night ? the car is a n reg 306 xldt could anyone please point me in the right direction

many thanks

roy
matt
My Cars:

Post by matt »

Stand back and look at look at the angle of the wheel (viewed from behind the car)if it looks like this / \ its probably the rear beam thats totally knackered. It must be bad to make it rub,is the top of the wheel rubbing?
92 205 1.9 GTI(MODIFIED,SORRY )
1996 VOLVO 850 2.5 5CYL 10V
1999 EXPERT VAN TD - WHITE !
No more car's thanks!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Matt, you're quite likely right in your diagnosis :(

Interestingly, I noticed on a friends 306 the spacing between one wheel and arch was significantly different to the other side. I cannot recall which now, only that on one side it was easy to slip your hand in and on the other only fingers could be got in. The reason we looked was because it came up as an MOT advisory because there was some minor rubbing evident.

I carefully checked for camber and found none that would account for the different spacing. We never persued it as the car had just passed its MOT.

If you cannot see any appreciable camber on the wheels, I'd have a look at the rubber subframe mounts and mounting in general, especially the mounting bolts, in case something has pushed the whole subframe sideways. The rear rubber sandwich mounts do deteriorate and break apart and the fact they are broken is not readily visible unless you really pry-bar them.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
baffsfishing

Post by baffsfishing »

hi matt
yes it is the top of the wheel that is rubbing,if it is as bad as you think it is, do you think its worth fixing considering the car is so old ? dont want to put it in a garage and get charged big bucks.
matt
My Cars:

Post by matt »

Interesting question- to fix or not to fix?

Your car wont be worth much buts its more of a case of what its worth to you?Also its an easier decision if you can do it yourself too

A beam may set you back 100- 150 quid then add say 200 for a garage to fit it,if you could do it yourself and scour the scrap yards you might get the whole job done for 100 quid

My 405 aint worth a deal but when all is said and done its a good reliable workhorse so if it happened to mine i would probably fix it

Also look at the bushes as citrojim says as that might be a cheap fix

Good luck
92 205 1.9 GTI(MODIFIED,SORRY )
1996 VOLVO 850 2.5 5CYL 10V
1999 EXPERT VAN TD - WHITE !
No more car's thanks!
TehAgent
My Cars:

Post by TehAgent »

My 406 had rubbing on the rear drivers side wheel, used a cable tie and the local garage to use their puncture repair tool to drill a hole in the wheel arch lining, and cable tie it back.

Jim, reason one is more spacious then the other, is a simple matter of fuel inlet pipe from the filling cap, as for the reason that it starts rubbing is beyond me, mine passed the MOT with nothing about faulty rear wheel arms / parts, and hasn't given me any problems so far, though i do know one of the rear brushes was fixed prior to me purchasing the vehicle.
1990 Nissan 300zx Twin Turbo (The Fast One)