Xantia front caliper piston gaiters

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

nexus

Xantia front caliper piston gaiters

Post by nexus »

Hi all.

This is my first posting... Thanks to everyone on the forum for much interesting reading and advice. I picked up my 2.0i 16v Xantia four months ago and as well as enjoying it loads have been picking up great advice on here (and from my long suffering mate) ever since.

Lovely car: Citroen serviced to 100k, bought at 115k, now at 121k.

Just replaced front pads and ran into a gaiter issue. Finding nothing at all anywhere about this on here or AussieFrogs I thought I'd post something.

Basically, while clockwise twisting/pushing the NS piston back in with a screwdriver the gaiter round the pad end of the piston split about a quarter of the way round its circumference - enough to see the shiny piston inside.

While taking much more care with the OS - and using the 21mm socket with extension bar and old rag method - the same thing happened, but this time only a couple of mm split.

So my questions are, firstly, how much does this matter if I just leave them (in terms of time before noticeable problems arise), and secondly, if I source new gaiters how easy are they to fit - is it a complete caliper rebuild job?

Any thoughts much appreciated.
handyman
My Cars:

Post by handyman »

Hello Nexus and welcome.

You will find that the gaiters are not listed by Citroen, none of the service parts for calipers are, which is extremely annoying.

However, there was a UK based company that listed an overhaul kit for these calipers, which included the screwed posts for the handbrake actuators, the parts that always strip.

Will post here and PM you if I can remember their details.

Running the car with torn brake piston gaiters could be a little like Russian roulette. Would you want the piston to stick just at that critical braking point? I know what my answer is.

Handyman
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

handyman wrote:You will find that the gaiters are not listed by Citroen, none of the service parts for calipers are, which is extremely annoying.
Hmm, that's not correct; 95667818 PISTON SEAL KIT £38.07, there are other kits depending on what part you wish to repair.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

yep - that kit is available and containing all rubber seals & boots for the front caliper.

Strangely this kit is actually cheaper over here in DK : just a fraction more than 30 british quids (incl. DK 25%vat ! ) 8)
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
nexus

Post by nexus »

Thanks all. Site's been down (what happened there?) then I got flu, so only just back online.

Yes, had already been quoted £38 PER SIDE for the overhaul kits, sorry should have mentioned. For a laugh I asked Citroen what they'd charge to fit them... Three hours per side plus VAT... Around £600 total including parts.

To fit two gaiters.

Doing it myself is clearly the only option. Bit of a bugger of a job though I reckon. Both calipers off, strip down etc. Unless there's a way to pop the old gaiters off and replace in situ?

Which is why I'll only do it if the brakes really are likely to suffer soon. Now I've replaced the pads the pistons will only be moving out won't they, rather than drawing muck back into the housing?

Anyone had to do this?
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I don't believe this will prove a very difficult job at all :) Just swing the calipers out as you do when swapping pads and the pistons are fully accessible. In fact from here it is only two T55 Torx bolts, handbrake cable off (should be off already as it makes pad replacement easier) and hydraulic flexi disconnected and the caliper is in your hand. Easy!

I'd do the job very soon. Whilst there is no risk as the piston goes out under pad wear, the piston working surface will slowly be exposed to the elements and will corrode and pit. Not a problem until you retract the piston to fit new pads and the corroded and pitted area of the piston will both damage the seal and may score the bore, leading to leaks.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
nexus

Post by nexus »

Thanks Jim.

Easier than a lot of jobs I guess. I've not really earned my DIY mechanic colours yet - you may be able to tell - so it's all still a bit of a learning curve. With this job to do and the front lower suspension arm bushes on my sister's 306 needing replacing, it seems like a bit of a steep curve.

Let this be a lesson - when you do a pad change DON'T RIP THE GAITERS when you retract the pistons!

I'll post when I've made progress.