309 Rear Suspension Creaks

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

pazz
My Cars:

309 Rear Suspension Creaks

Post by pazz »

My 1993 309 1.6 Auto (XU5M single point injection/cat) is starting to creak from the rear suspension at times. From reading other posts I suspect the rear arm bearings have become dry and/or rusty, although I can't detect any unusual camber or excessive free play. I'd like to replace the complete rear suspension assembly with a secondhand replacement. I've tried using the Peugeot Servicebox to work out which models would be suitable donor vehicles, but it's pretty confusing. I'm guessing any 1.6 manual or auto with drum brakes would do. Maybe a diesel would also be OK? What about a 1.4 petrol? Any ideas?
Also if I'm offered a rear suspension assembly which is already off the car, is it possible to check for wear or seizure?
1993 309GLi Auto 145K
1993 405GLi Auto Estate 218K
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Hi Pazz,

Virtually any rear beam from a "cooking" 309 should do for you. The GTi variant is very much sought-after by the 205GTi boys and carries a premium.

If necessary, you can transfer the Anti-Roll Bar (ARB) and torsion bars from your present one to a replacement fairly easily. These two item are the only items that vary on the beam between models.

Off the car, a beam is impossible to fully check except by dismantling. The bearings fail due to lack of lubricant/water ingress and the first bit to fail is the trailing arm shafts. They become pitted and even if new bearings are fitted (they're needle rollers) they'll have a very short life. New stub-axles are still readily available. In bad cases the bearing journals in the axle tube will wear oval and this writes off the whole tube.

Dismantle a likely donor and if the tube is OK, replace the bearings, trailing arms and seals and you'll have a new beam that will be good for the rest of the life of the car.

Beware that beams become very rusty and care is needed to dismantle. If you need, I can give detailed advice, being an ex-295GTi owner...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
pazz
My Cars:

Post by pazz »

Thanks Jim, I may contact you for more detailed info after I've found a suitable beam. I've just been reading on the 205GTIdrivers forum that some people add grease nipples - just wondering if this would be worth a try first as it sounds like the bearings are dry. Pumping some grease in might help?
1993 309GLi Auto 145K
pug_owner2002
My Cars:

Post by pug_owner2002 »

I did remove the plastic srew on my 306, pump some oil in and then using a grease nipple add grease. Once done I put the plastic screw back in.
This did cure the creak on mine and is well worth a go as in my opinion theres nothing to loose as your contemplaiting changing it anyway.
R Reg Phase 2 306 DTurbo (Blaze Yellow) (Sold)
X Reg Phase 3 306 1.4 LX (Sold)
03 Renault Scenic Dynamique +
03 Seat Leon 1.9 TDi
52 Nissan Almera 1.8 sport+
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

The problem of going in through the plasic screws is that it is a bit hit and miss for the grease to fully get to where it is needed. It is well worth trying though. Going in through here puts most of the grease on the ARB and the inside of the trailing arm shaft whereas it needs to be on the outside of the trailing arm shaft.

Whilst the beam is in bits, drill and tap the tube equidistant between the trailing arm bearing journals and install some nipples. the whole space can then be filled with grease. For a real Rolls Royce job, fit a nipple adjacent to each journal and pump until grease oozes out past the seal just like we used to do with BL Minis years ago :)
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
pazz
My Cars:

Post by pazz »

Thank you both for your suggestions. I haven't noticed any plastic screws on the 309. Where are they located?
1993 309GLi Auto 145K