Does my TD idling sound OK?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

JohnCKL
My Cars:

Does my TD idling sound OK?

Post by JohnCKL »

Here's a video of my 1.9TD engine idling after adjusting the fast idle lever. Does it sound normal or still too loud/rough?

Xantia 1.9TD 1996
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Spooky robotic voices :lol:

There is no indication if its a hot or cold engine you start up and let us listen to ?
Thats very important to judge the "normality" of the diesel clatter.

A cold diesel should run at approx 1100rpm - by way of any type coldstart circuit fitted.
Then it should settle at 900rpm or a tad below that when hot, as the coldstart circuit falls to rest.

Have you read this thread :
http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... hp?t=22955
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
JohnCKL
My Cars:

Post by JohnCKL »

haha, not robotic on purpose though. Seems the camera's sound shouldn't be turned on max or the mike will be too sensitive and garbled the sounds, so I've been told.

The video was taken when the engine was started cold but the ambient temperature here is about 35C. Engine hovers between 900-1000, cold starting, its about 980, hot I think about 950, sometimes goes down to 900. I must make more observations. So I think the rpm is correct, just that its shaking/rattling quite a bit, can feel it on the steering.

Interesting thread, description sounds like my engine before I pushed the fast idle lever towards the flywheel side. Let's see about moving the pump.
Xantia 1.9TD 1996