the new c5

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

meexi
My Cars:

the new c5

Post by meexi »

what do you guys think of the new c5 looks like an audi to me not a bad thing
not sure about offering metal suspension and hydra3 perhaps to appeal to the masses
2004 C3 XTR HDI 16V 92bhp
2004 Xsara Picasso Exclusive HDI 16V 110bhp
1989 Peugeot J5 Hymer B694 2.5td intercooled 8v 96bhp
UFO
My Cars:

Post by UFO »

I have a friend in France who has driven a press C5 hydropneumatic. He says it is very good. Not as comfortable as a DS, but still very good.
Craig Keller
Gerringong
Australia

"A little dab of LHM goes a long way!"
mooseshaver
My Cars:

Post by mooseshaver »

I think it looks rather good. Shame the Hydrative 4 didn't make it, shame Hydractive 3+ is an option, I imagne anyone who is looking for a Mondeo alternative would not bother with Hydractive if they have never experienced it before.
But then it might win people over who have steered clear of funky suspension.
Will this make secondhand hydractives harder to find in a few years?

I like the interior, I hope distance cruise control makes it since they left it off the C6.
Have you seen the video? Does the Estates tailgate really open itself or is it camera trickery?
C5 III Tourer 2.0 HDi 163 Auto Exclusive
Gone cars.
C5 2.2 HDi Exclusive Estate auto 57. Awesome car. Sadly Could not be fixed by Citroen.
C5 1.6 HDi VTR Estate 56. Traded in.
C5 2.2 HDi SX Estate 02. Drowned in the floods of 09.
C3 1.4 HDi 92 SX 52.
Saxo 1.1 East Coast.
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Probably the least un-appealing new car out there, but that's not saying much.
Definite improvement on the previous C5's looks, but again, that wasn't hard to do.
The estate looks better than the saloon, and I'm pretty sure my sister hired a Skoda with those interior air vents.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

A metal suspension C5 surely won't be much different to a Peugeot 408 (which is bound to follow)
2010 C5 X7 VTR+Nav 160
1998 1.5 Saxo
1998 Pug 306 1.9D
2018 C4 B7 VTR+
2011 Citroen C1
mr_apisto
My Cars:

Post by mr_apisto »

I seem to be the only one here who really likes the new C5. I do agree that it's a pity that the suspension is not what it should/could be. In any case, anybody wanting a French car will probably buy one, after all has anyone seen the new Renault Laguna, what a heap :shock: .If it weren't for needing 7+ seats, I'd be seriously tempted.
Having previously bought a (new at the time) Xantia, I've always had a soft spot for these cars, and even then, I can't love the outgoing C5.
When this model comes on stream it should mean a further hike to the reliability of Citroën cars (currently 6th in the UK, and highest placed European manufacturer according to Which?) Fact is that people will still doubt Cit. reliability until they stay at the top for several years. Just look how long it is taking Mercedes to lose their aura of invincibility. When I went in to get a test driuve of a Vito, even the salesman recognised that their reliability was crap, but people still buy them by the truck load (talking of which, probably about 50% of trucks sold here in Spain are Mercs. as well)
C:)lin
XantiaMan
My Cars:

Post by XantiaMan »

I think it looks great.

I like the C5 as a car for what it does, but the pre-facelift of the current version really is cosmetically challenged, the post-facelift went some way to making it a more handsome car and would be the one i own in about 5-6 years time when they are about £500 quid :wink:

Picture of new C5 =

2003 Ford Mondeo ST220
2002 Ford Fiesta Zetec S
2001 Ford Puma 1.7 VCT
2008 Ford Transit Mk7
http://www.facebook.com/kidmans" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
bencowell

Post by bencowell »

I wonder if the introduction of the new C5 will make the present models depreciate like a stone.

Do you think I'll be able to get a one year old 2.2 HDI in a year or two's time for peanuts? Might be a worthy replacement for my 2.0 HDI 110.

I don't think the 1.6 HDI will be strong enough for a new C5 (presumably heavier) with passengers when it feels lethargic on a fully loaded Xsara Picasso.
Currently driving a 2004 C5 VTR (old shape) and an Electric Kia Soul. Sorry but the electric one is my favourite!
Formerly Hyundai Genesis 3.8 V6, 2 x Kia Optima, 2 x C5, Xsara and Saxo.
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

If you're going for a first generation C5 I'd suggest a pair of VERY dark
glasses anytime you approach the car and after removing them to drive
try not to catch any reflections on your travels... :wink:

It may be just me, but I feel ill when I look at one for too long!
I accept the facelifted one is better being only slightly visibly challenged
compared to the original mind!

Seemingly the car to aspire to at the moment is an Audi, so if Citroen does
a perfect facsimile of one but with suspension that ACTUALLY WORKS on
our degrading 3rd world country roads, that can't be a bad thing can it?

Andrew
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

Andrew Frankel, The Sunday Times - Dec 30, 2007.

New cars for 2008:

The year will also see the exciting arrival of the new Citroen C5,
which seems to be one of the most interesting and imaginative
mainstream family car designs since the firm's DS model of the
1950's. If it is even close to being as good to drive as it is to look
at, it's success will be surely deserved.

Someone in the press saying something nice about a Citroen? Eh?
:shock:

Andrew
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

To be honest it looks much more like the baby sister of the C6 now if you follow the lines and look at them both side by side.

I have to agree that the suspension idea would not win me over, coils and springs pah, give me squishy liquidy stuff anyday :D

The 1.6 in my eyes is definately a bad move but there must be some reason towards them doing this instead of going for a 1.8 or 1.7 intimediary option for diesels? The alloys look very attractive for the younger generation(moi) i may add or the more racey people.

Im quite hoping in a few years to get my hands on a nice C6 or C5 and veggy it but considering my current xantia cost me £600 thats a few years of depreciation off yet! :(
mr_apisto
My Cars:

Post by mr_apisto »

The fact stands that Citroen has now reached such levels of reliability that it has overtaken all other European manufacturers. They now stand 6th overall and their most unreliable product is... Guess what, the C5. With the new C5 you should expect to see a continuation of this improvement in reliability.
The press has ALWAYS been hard on manufacturers that don't take reliability seriously, just look at how they treated BL. Many industry observers now happily claim that many BL products were actually rather good, it was build quality and reliabilty that constantly let them down. FIAT still manages to survive in spite of atrocious reliability mainly because Italians continue to buy them.
What tends to happen when a company really gets its act together, residual prices gradually climb and continue to climb. Just look at what the German manufacturers have achieved on the back of the "faultless" reliabilty.
Having said that, Mercedes seems to be on the verge of self destructing, primarily because of improbably poor reliability. Personally I think they have only survived so long because nobody really BELIEVES what they hear.
Bottom line is that it takes a long time to gain a reputation, which is what Citroen are doing right now. This is also a very good reason to be looking at a Cit as a 2nd hand car right now. :lol:
C:)lin
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

mr_apisto wrote:The fact stands that Citroen has now reached such levels of reliability that it has overtaken all other European manufacturers. They now stand 6th overall and their most unreliable product is... Guess what, the C5. With the new C5 you should expect to see a continuation of this improvement in reliability.
Source ?

As much as I'd like to believe this, I can't find any reports that come anywhere close to this - the first two I found placed Citroen at 24th for reliability, and 33rd for customer satisfaction - not good! (Both reports are 2005)

Regards,
Simon
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
XantiaMan
My Cars:

Post by XantiaMan »

I've seen one from 2007 that places Citroen in the top ten manufacturers for reliabilty. Took some finding but its out there!
2003 Ford Mondeo ST220
2002 Ford Fiesta Zetec S
2001 Ford Puma 1.7 VCT
2008 Ford Transit Mk7
http://www.facebook.com/kidmans" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;