Noise from rear-1998 HDi

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

jcdel
My Cars:

Noise from rear-1998 HDi

Post by jcdel »

Thinking of swapping my 96 TDi for 98 HDi.Seems Ok but there is a wierd buzzing noise from the offside rear.Disappears when I turn ignition off so I'm thinking inboard pump in the tank. Would I be right and if so the obvious question. How Much? As usual all advice greatfully appreciated. :?
slim123

Post by slim123 »

Lift up the back seat on the drivers side and you will see the black cover of the fuel pump, have a listen here to find out if this is the buzz that it does.

I have never owned an HDI but I have driven a few and can only say that I have never noticed the buzzing noise.

I guess that the pump could be getting old and noisey but normally they just pack up and die with no warning.

If you do decide to replace, the last time I bought one they were about £90.00

Maybe other HDI owners could say if their pump is noisey?????

Slim.
jcdel
My Cars:

Post by jcdel »

Thanks for that.It does make a lot of sense for the noise to be coming from under the rear seat.Seller trying to tell me its coming from the exhaust which has just been fitted.
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

I can hear the pump running on mine (Xantia HDi 110) when the ignition is turned on but as soon as the engine starts it's drowned out by the engine if that help's.

Bear in mind that if the pump is on the way out, get it and the complete filter housing replaced asap because when that pump fails it often causes small particles to enter the main pump and injectors which wrecks them and leaves a bill well into four figures. IIRC each injector costs £350 :shock:
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Mine makes quite a loud humming noise at switch on - I'm sure it's worse now then when I bought it. For the reasons Dickie outlined, I am thinking about replacing it in the new year as a precaution - presumably you're talking about replacing the underbonnet filter unit as well?
Richard W