XM Engine choice

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

XM Engine choice

Post by elma »

Met admcit today in his 2.0ct XM.
Unfortunately for me I was rather taken with it and now I must have one.
I've always been a fan of the xud9 engine in my xantia but as this is not available in the XM I'm looking for advice and comments on each of the engines.

Important things to consider for me are how easy or hard they are to work on, fuel consumption, servicing costs (I do my own so only the parts), price of insurance tax etc and reliability.

Obviously the one I want is the v6 but I think its a bit out of my reach.
I'm more likely to buy a diesel although if I keep the xantia, which I want to but probably can't afford, I may go petrol.

Finally I will only be looking at early cars without an airbag as I hate the shape of the steering wheel airbags come with and don't enjoy driving later citroens because of this.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

the 2.0CT in the XM is essentially the same engine as in the Activa Elma.

So, you've already been captivated by the tree-stump extracting torque of it then :D :D

The 2.0CT is low-pressure turbo'd for a smooth and flat torque curve from idle to red-line and it is not tuned for all-out BHP. Thus it excels in torque and can pull diesel gear ratios.

The engine itself is a very conventional XU10 and it is, to all intents and purposes, bomb-proof. It has an 8V head and is very similar to the XUD9. It's designation is an XU10J2CTE (Engine Code RGX or RGY for the earlier ones)

Everything is utterly conventional and gives very little bother. If you know your smaller XUs and XUDs, the XU10 holds no surprises.

The downside is fuel consumption. Expect no more than 25mpg around town and perhaps 35mpg on a run. That is why I'm looking into LPG.

It's a stunning engine though and you can forgive it's thirst for its character :P

If you like diesels, have a look at the 2.1TD XUD11. It goes very well and a 2.1TD Xantia gives an Activa a good run for its money. Note that later 2.1TDs have Lucas EPIC injection pumps. These are fully electronically controlled "fly by wire" pumps and like all Lucas pumps, don't like veg very much... Some earlier 2.1TD XMs are understood to have been fitted with Bosch mechanical pumps.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
elma

Post by elma »

Didn't actually ride in it Jim, just loved the car.
Looks like I'll be waiting a few years though unless I can find someone special to insure me, cheapest I can find on any model is £700 and thats with a online discount and 67% no claims discount.
Thats more than it costs me to buy, fix, tax, mot and insure a xantia for a year!! And I've proven that twice now.

Not very happy about this :cry:

There must be a way I can insure one of these things, not going to give up yet.
deian

Post by deian »

Hello Elma,

I sold my last xm 2.0ct because I didn't 'bond' with it much, the engine is smooth yes, and thirsty (more than my old xantia v6)! I wouldn't go for the automatic one, it's a basic box and boring to say the least.

But beyond my 'unexpected' experience with the above XM, I can see why people do like them, and I can appreciate the car. But it wasn't for me. Maybe I had a bad example.

In my opinion, I'd go for the turbo diesel, it would be just as quick to drive, with similar engine characteristics to a 2.1td engine (I was disappointed with how dead the 'petrol' 2.0i ct was after my v6 xantia).

My old xantia 2.1td would have my old XM for breakfast, and I reckon my current ZX 1.9td would be much quicker than it. But I had an automatic XM, the manual one would be faster.

Next time, I'd go for a later 2.0i CT and have it converted to lpg like Jim will do, otherwise it's too much hassle.

I wouldn't go for all the toys next time either, the leathers are nice, as are the electric bits, but as for the trip computer, on such an old car it's probably lying to you, but I'm sure thats standard anyway.

What got me into the XM in the first place was having a ride in 'citroenxm's series 1 v6 24v manual (later engine is better though), it WAS seriously quick and the suspension worked well so was therefore worth the hassle of the ownership. You know what old cars are like... bits need changing, when they do, there are corroded bolts, etc, but at least they are easier to work on that the modern cars.

Hope my opinion helps. At least they can be had for a few hundred, and if you don't like it, you can easily get your money back as the prices are so low anyway, they will keep their prices.

Good luck.

EDIT: I payed more for the insurance than the price of the car too! It's only now that you pointed it out that I notice this 'issue'. Very sensible Elma.
elma

Post by elma »

Believe me if I hadn't been stupid and gone to university I would just pay it, but with no monthly wage these days I have to be very careful about buying cars and running them.

Luckily I have now found a quote for £350 for the 2.5tdvsx on ebay at the minute with more than so there is some hope.

Looks like I'll run my Xantia for the rest of the insurance, which is about 10 months then change to an xm. Its a shame my insurance company are quoting such a high price I'd love to get looking now, although I havent finished doing up the xantia yet and I couldn't let it go until its perfect.
deian

Post by deian »

Ooooh, a 2.5td, I hear thats a nice engine, but it's quite rare and challenging to work on. I wouldn't get it myself. Although I may do in the future.
elma

Post by elma »

Would anyone who has a s1 xm 2.1 td manual mind pm'ing me their reg number so I can get a quote on it as this is the model I am most likely to get.
Thanks
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

Hi James.

Wasn't trying to mess your head around earlier - IF I'd wanted to do that,
I'd have brought the 24v V6 Xm or my Cx GTi Turbo2 for you to try...

Mind, you'll have to have try each permutation to see if it's really 'you' or
not to spare the hassle that Deian found with his. I wouldn't go anywhere
near an auto though and only have a 24v V6 handy on the road that will
spoil you if you're considering a 12v one. I have access to a 2.1TD S2 on
T reg for you to try the engine, though it's not a pleasant experience to
drive the car for some reason - this particular car feels REALLY agricultural
even though it's massively newer than the rest!!

Some reg numbers to play with on the insurance database:

G406 YHT. 3.0SEi MAN - saloon.
G823 BBL. 2.0SEi MAN - saloon.
G397 SKE. 2.0i MAN (another i!!) - saloon.
H179 GKX now CAZ1820. 2.0i MAN (yes, just an "i") - saloon.
H138 GLP. 2.0i MAN (gawd another wun) - saloon.
H43 YYM. 2.0SEi MAN - saloon.
H564 TEP. 3.0Si MAN - saloon.
H882 YHT. 3.0SEi 12V AUT saloon.
J648 YDT. 2.0Si MAN - saloon.
EBZ6961. 3.0Si 12V MAN - saloon.
K766 CJH. 3.0SEi 24V MAN - saloon.
K391 ETW. 2.0i Prestige MAN - saloon.
K371 WFD. 2.0Si CT Turbo MAN - saloon.
K246 YAC. 2.0Si CT Turbo MAN saloon.
K430 WOF. 2.1SD MAN - estate.
L394 ULM. 2.0Si MAN - saloon.

It'd be interesting to see if there are any differences between age
and spec on these as well as the obvious engine!!

Andrew
elma

Post by elma »

andmcit wrote:
Wasn't trying to mess your head around earlier - IF I'd wanted to do that,
I'd have brought the 24v V6 Xm or my Cx GTi Turbo2 for you to try...
You didn't mess my head around at all, just opened my eyes a bit.
I'm quite happy, but please don't bring the 24v. My eyes will light up and my rent money will be spent and I'll have to live in the car.
Love to see the cx though, I've already accepted that I can't have one of them for a few years so no harm could be done.
deian

Post by deian »

The v6 24v is the one that 'made' me buy one!
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

There's a nice looking metalic red Mk2 2.1.td estate on ebay, if you don't mind an estate. They will double as a removal van!

Citroen XM 2.1 Turbo diesel estate vsx Item number: 320170378811

All 2.1 XMs up until '96 had the Bosch mechanical pump. The two I have were both registerd in Jan '96 and have the Bosch pump. I have been running them for over 10 years and think there the best thing since sliced bread. Driven with a little restraint on a reasonable journey, 50 mpg + is possible. I get this regularly going to Scotland - but I am old :? :?

The reg of mine are: N451YBL and N471YBL.
elma

Post by elma »

Thanks for that, it's prity much perfect for me.
Unfortunatley not in a position to buy til royal mail get their arse in gear and deliver my student loan forms. What a shame :( .
On the bright side it could always go through before the end of the auction, ,I may have that one yet.
jonnydrumm1967
My Cars:

Post by jonnydrumm1967 »

Peter, were both of your cars registered by Citroen UK themselves? The BL suffix used to crop up a lot amongst press cars.

Jon.
2000 XANTIA HDi 110 SX Est
1992 205 GTI TD
1996 DISCOVERY TDI
2001 XANTIA HDi LX
1991 205 D Turbo
elma

Post by elma »

Thanks for all the reg numbers,I forgot to say anything.
I'll start a post on which models cost how much to insure soon after I've finished getting quotes.
elma

Post by elma »

Quote for that vsx on ebay £331 with protected no claims and all the bells and whistles.
I'm so upset, I bet next time the same car turns up and I've got the cash the quote is triple.
I'd even keep the xantia if I could run an xm for that much.
I shall be having words with the postman if he ever shows up again he's ruined my childish want for a new toy.