xantia front wishbone rear bushes

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

meexi
My Cars:

xantia front wishbone rear bushes

Post by meexi »

done these today for the MOT have to say easier than what i thought couple of thing i would like to share.

when taking the inner metal bush off hit it hard all round this will break the rust and distorts the metal a little bit then invest in a compressor and air hammer gun this makes the job a piece of cake.

when you are putting the fixed wishbone put the suspension on low and start the engine this will lift the anti-roll bar just out of the way to sqeaze it back in place.

job took 4.5 hours all in
2004 C3 XTR HDI 16V 92bhp
2004 Xsara Picasso Exclusive HDI 16V 110bhp
1989 Peugeot J5 Hymer B694 2.5td intercooled 8v 96bhp
ohms

Post by ohms »

Do you know if when buying a new wishbone it comes with all the bushes and bottom balljoint?
elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Post by elma »

New wish bones come with the bushes in place however no ball joint.
The balljoint is upside down compared to most cars it screws directly into the hub carrier and then the pin bit goes through the bottom arm and is secured by the lock nut underneath.
The balljoint is a (-expletive removed-) to do if you don't have heat, impact wrench, 20 metre bar or a vice. Sometimes it will be a (-expletive removed-) even if you do have these things, I hate doing them.
The lower arm however is very easy to change. I never bother though as the front bushes and the arm don't seem to wear and my motor factor sells the rear bush for £6. It only takes half an hour to do a rear bush after you've done a couple of them and you need no special or expensive equipment at all.