Hissing from Xantia steering and Brakes

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

ohms

Hissing from Xantia steering and Brakes

Post by ohms »

Got another post runnig, but as this is another problem, i've started another topic.

My steering seems to make a hissing noise, almost like an air leak on a compressor line. It's not from the pump, but sounds like it's coming from the rack.

I've been away from xantia's for a while and can't recall this phenomenon. It still steers as it should and doesn't seem to be doing any harm, but just wondered what it is.
:)

Also, when i press the brake pedal that also makes a loud hissing type noise...My BX doesn't do it and again i wondered what this could be. the brakes do seem to pulse with an inconsistent feel but I put this down to a shot accumulator sphere. Any ideas?

95 TD by the way. :D
elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Post by elma »

Hissings normal, pulsings air or acc sphere.
Do the brakes pulse at high revs? If so you definetly have air in the brakes and need to bleed them.
If they only pulse when the engine revs are low and the car ticks quite regularly at standstill then you should replace the acc sphere.
My moneys on air in the brakes as if you noticed the steering hissing you would probably have noticed the front of the car ticking.
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

A small hiss when turning the steering is quite normal - mine does it a bit especially on a left turn. If it does it even when not turning it might be a bit unusual...

Likewise a hiss or slurping noise from the brake pedal after pressing it hard and then releasing is quite normal.

Pulsing brakes is most likely air in the brake lines - give the brakes a good bleed, especially the back and see if it still does it.

Regards,
Simon
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
ohms

Post by ohms »

Thanks chaps, will try bleeding the brakes as soon as I've sorted this front height issue and can get it from hign to low.

The hissing from the steering is only when turning, so not a major problem i wouldn't have thought.

:D
elma

Post by elma »

No problem at all, its absolutely normal.
Do you know the procedure o bleed the brakes? I did it wrong the first time as the haynes doesn't emphasise enough that the brake pedal is held down, not pumped.
ohms

Post by ohms »

Yep, done it plenty of times. Piece of wood between drivers and brake pedal. :D
91 Citroen AX 1.4D
99 BMW M Coupe
elma

Post by elma »

Perfect.
Rx 7 hey. You lucky sod thats one of my dream cars that I won't be able to afford for quite a few years.
ohms

Post by ohms »

Absolutely fantastic toy for nice sunny days. Been dynoed at just shy of 340BHP and goes like nothing else I've ever experienced, would highly recomend one. 8)
91 Citroen AX 1.4D
99 BMW M Coupe