fuel pump Q and tdc sensor?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

deian

fuel pump Q and tdc sensor?

Post by deian »

Hi all,

I've attatched some photo's...

Photo 1 has what I think is the TDC sensor plug? Am I correct, it's a 3 pin male plug with a 2 pin female plug on the loom side?

Photo 2 is what I'm a little worried about, see pipe 1, the see through one, is this a leak off pipe?

Is this pipe safe as it is, the reason this silicone pipe is cable tied on is because the old one (black hard citroen one) had only one flared end (pump side) and the other side was forced onto the "little black thing" and had split, so i ditched it, I don't think this is a high pressure pipe as it feed back into the fuel pump housing somehow through the "little black thing", am i correct?

Anyway, can anyone identify the 4 pipes going into the "little black thing", what is that "little black thing" called, and what does it do?

And what does that silver thing do at the top of the pump?

Photo 3 is the pump, can anyone identify parts 1 and 2 for me please, I suspect part 1 is the stop solenoid (?), although how this works that stop lever higher up is a mystery to me. Also, wiring goes to this brass coloured thing at the rear of the pump (2), what is that?

Thanks so much guys.
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

I don't recognise that black fuel part but that doesn't mean it shouldn't be there - perhaps it's an aftermarket filter or heater? Just a guess.

The top of the pump question marked is the part of the turbo controlled fuelling adjuster. The top nut is for locking the adjustment torx screw. That screw adjusts the fuelling under normal aspiration (off-boost). The lower component marked "1" is, I think, the cold start or fast idle control. The area with the wiring "2" I think is the immobiliser within the armour while the top solenoid is the fuel stop.
deian

Post by deian »

No immobilizer in my car though.
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

Then there's probably not the immobiliser circuitry in there, maybe just the stop solenoid and fast idle circuits.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

The very first picture is the TDC sensor but all it does is drive the tacho.

Item No.4 is part of the leakoff pipe arrangement Dei. In fact, 1 and 2 and 3 are too.

I'm not surprised you have problems with lumpy starts, the leakoff pipes, especially the clear one (No.1) and the method of attachment to the pump is hardly good. I'd put new leakoffs on soonest. Halfrauds do a smashing little kit.

In the second picture, Mike, you're spot-on, it's the cold advance solenoid whilst 2 is the stop solenoid.

You have a nice simple straightforward mechanical pump there with no coded immobiliser.

The cold advance works in the same way as the glowplug post-start heating. It is active at idle and coolant below 60C. It, like the post heating, can be knocked off on the throttle opening up and operating the microswitch.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
deian

Post by deian »

Excellent, thanks for the clarification, I now got new pipes for the leakoffs, it does start better (but it is warm), lets see how it starts in the morning when the engine is stone cold.

The clear pipe was what I put on after spotting the leak on the old black one last night, problem with the black pipe was that it was splitting when I was forcing it on the little black thing, the other end was flared. But the new pipe is softer and went on well and seals nicely.

The clear pipe did not seal at all, even with the cable ties, you could see bubbles all over the place, it might be an indication of leaks some place else too. maybe I should have got clear pipes all over, like my xantia 2.1td had.

It's also had a an oil change and filter too, and recently new coolant and thermostat, next on the list is glow plugs, but at £30 a shot I'll give them a miss until I really need them, and the job seems VERY fiddly indeed, two of the plugs are behind the pump, not taking that off for the sake of glow plugs!

I am now approaching 50% veggie oil in the car (r.seed). And it runs fine so far.

The reason I took picture of the tdc plug (which is ok) was to confirm that it was actually this, my rev counter is not working, but I am on the case, there is post somewhere else where people helped me there, just need to get round to doing it.

Thanks
elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Post by elma »

For the glowplugs get down to stermat and buy a set of angled ring spanners.
Its prity easy with them and they were about £6 when I bought them
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

When you do the plugs as well spend the extra cash and get some Bosch Duratherm plugs. Extra wire windings make them even hotter and they are a mm or 2 longer so help with the heating process. the veggie experts reccomend them and cheap enough thru ebay :)
deian

Post by deian »

Oky doky KP, i will have no choice but to invest in some weird spanners, so i will take your advice on board elma

thanks