Biodiesel

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

bencowell

Biodiesel

Post by bencowell »

Has anybody got any experiences of Biodiesel usage in HDI engines?
Ben
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

If you use the search facility you'll find this topic has been covered several times.
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

when you say biodiesel do you mean a home made cooking oil mix ? if so i would not even dream about putting it in an HDI.the fuel system components are very sensitive (and expensive).sometimes if petrol is put in them by accident it f*cks the l.p. fuel pump.the injectors are also very sensitive and at £250 each would you risk it ?
Doc
My Cars:

Post by Doc »

On the last series of Top Gear they filled a 760 Volvo turbo diesel with cooking oil mixed with a little white spirit. It ran just like a normal diesel the only difference being the exhaust smelt like a chip shop. (which is okay in my book)
You have to make sure the oil is filtered carefully as bits of batter and chip do nothing for pump internals. Unfortunately I think that running an HDi diesel on fat is a huge risk especially as the pump/injector components are so expensive. The CETANE rating of cooking oil is different to that of diesel much like the OCTANE rating of petrol.
Unless you are prepared for big bills, DO NOT try it in an HDi. A normal diesel with mechanical pump should be fine though. You may need to fit a fuel preheating device before the filter as oil/fat may solidify in cold weather.
I may try it in my XM 2.1 turbo diesel on it if America goes into Iraq and oil prices start climbing.
I know that army tanks are designed to run on ANY liquid fuel ranging from paraffin to cooking oil to aviation fuel. I once saw a diesel running on powdered algae from a pond that was injected into the engine using a special injector. As long as a substance is inherently combustible and is capable of being pumped into the engine, then a diesel will run on it.
Doc
Doc
My Cars:

Post by Doc »

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
On the last series of Top Gear they filled a 760 Volvo turbo diesel with cooking oil mixed with a little white spirit. It ran just like a normal diesel the only difference being the exhaust smelt like a chip shop. (which is okay in my book)
You have to make sure the oil is filtered carefully as bits of batter and chip do nothing for pump internals. Unfortunately I think that running an HDi diesel on fat is a huge risk especially as the pump/injector components are so expensive. The CETANE rating of cooking oil is different to that of diesel much like the OCTANE rating of petrol.
Unless you are prepared for big bills, DO NOT try it in an HDi. A normal diesel with mechanical pump should be fine though. You may need to fit a fuel preheating device before the filter as oil/fat may solidify in cold weather.
I may try it in my XM 2.1 turbo diesel on it if America goes into Iraq and oil prices start climbing.
I know that army tanks are designed to run on ANY liquid fuel ranging from paraffin to cooking oil to aviation fuel. I once saw a diesel running on powdered algae from a pond that was injected into the engine using a special injector. As long as a substance is inherently combustible and is capable of being pumped into the engine, then a diesel will run on it.
Doc
When you say BIODIESEL do you mean diesel sold through garages? If yes then Biodiesel can be treated like any good quality diesel fuel. The only difference being it originates from oilseed rape/linseed production and not dug out the ground as in diesel processed from crude oil.
<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size=2 id=quote>
B_Draper
My Cars:

Post by B_Draper »

What about using Biodiesel in the older XUD turbo and non-turbo units (the non-direct injection engine)?
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

Doktor Diesel originally designed the engine to run on coaldust so a standard diesel will run on just about anything.Rapeseed oil seems to be quite viable and is legal, too. Chipfat probably does nothing for the engine in the long run and if the customs and excise get hold of you you might end up in the hotel with stiff curtains but I have heard of diesels running on lpg which is probably the cheapest option.
Taking mine home occasionally to where the derv costs 2/3 of the uk price saves me a good bit but Woman Belong Me wastes all the potential saving on red wine which I am reluctantly coerced into consuming at the rate of a ten bottle saving per tankful of diesel...
broome
My Cars:

Post by broome »

Proper BioDiesel is filtered. It also has Ethanol mixed with and is then "cooked" for a set period of time. This provides the correct viscosity, cetanse rating and so on to ensure its kind to the puimp, injectors and seals. Best do a google search for Bio-diesel
paulb
DLM
My Cars:

Post by DLM »

Have a look at
http://www.biodieselfillingstations.co.uk/
who have a "Cars suitable to run on biodiesel" section. HDi engines turn up under the heading of Peugeot, rather than Citroen.
Fox
My Cars:

Post by Fox »

According to that Biodiesel site the listed fuel stations all charge upwards of 77p a litre. Whats the point when proper diesel is cheaper?
1994 Citroen Xantia SX 1.9 Turbo Diesel
148,500 miles
DLM
My Cars:

Post by DLM »

Most of the cost of biodiesel is tax - the government are unwilling to allow any tax incentive for this environmentally friendly fuel. Also there aren't the opportunities for economies of scale present in the mainstream oil industry. This might be slightly offset by a small increase in mpg, according to the quoted figures.
In any case, the decision to use biodiesel is likely to be a personal one, rather than an economic one with the current UK legislation.
RichardH
My Cars:

Post by RichardH »

A good links page on biodiesel matters is here.
http://www.northwales.org.uk/bio-power/links.htm
Richard