Exhaust repaired

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Exhaust repaired

Post by MikeT »

I took my car to an exhaust fitter to fit the downpipe gasket kit as I've been told it's not a worthwhile DIY job without a ramp. Cost me £25 and the car was there just over 30 minutes. Poor guy's arms were covered in veg oil from hands to shoulders (for which I apologised) with a scorch mark on his inner elbow. He complained about his chubby arms having to squeeze past the gear linkage but otherwise reported no isuses. Car sounds quieter both externally and internally and I've yet to replace the silencer! I think it's improved the performance a little even though the gasket is downstream of the turbo :?
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i hope it was the woven wire sealing ring you had fitted, and not the fiber one, if the later chuby hands will have to venture up there again before very long
regards malcolm
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

It was indeed - genuine Citroen gasket kit. Whether chubby-chappy managed to fit all the cups, washers, gaskets, springs, bolts and nuts in the right order I cannot tell, but it sounds and feels good to me and I kept the receipt. 8)

I wasn't aware until today that I can no longer hear the turbo begin to spool up nor the metallic brushing noise I used to be conscious of when revving it hard. In fact, I now have to keep looking at the rev counter to know when to change gear :lol: