Stupid(?) question - wheel studs

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

DaveW
My Cars:

Stupid(?) question - wheel studs

Post by DaveW »

I have just acquired a couple of (only very, very slightly) used tyres for the back of the Xantia - these are attached to Citroen alloy rims.
Question is, can I use the standard wheel studs for steel rims or do the alloys have a special type ?

Dave.
Xantia Forte 1.8i, 16v X reg.(09/2000) 93K, aircon
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

You should have bolts rather than studs securing your wheels. Alloys require a different bolt - which depends on the wheel used. Details of standard may be in this catalogue:

http://www2.qha.com/catalogues/KL1.pdf
jeremy
DaveW
My Cars:

Post by DaveW »

jeremy,

Thanks for the link. This appears to be for 'aftermarket' rims - were there no factory models fitted with alloys?
The donor car is an R reg. LX. The alloys have the same size tyre as fitted to the steel rims on my car (185/65 R 15) and have the Citroen chevrons (cast on) near the valve hole.

Dave.

Edit. My mistake. I see it is for original equipment but this still does not answer my question as I don't know what the designation is of the bolts on my car.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

My reading of the catalogue is that standard steel and standard alloys use the same bolt - the KRO66 - and the diagram on the right shows this as having a 60 degree taper.

I find this a bit surprising as the BX had flat seated bolts on its alloys and I thought there was a change to taper seats in the late 90's for Citroen alloys.

Do your alloys look as though they need a bolt with a 60 degree taper or do they have flat seats?
jeremy
DaveW
My Cars:

Post by DaveW »

jeremy,

Just checked. They do have flat seats so that definitely answers the question.

Although the alloys are the same style as the other wheel trims, I can see no real advantage in having just two alloys on the rear, in fact this would only create problems re. the spare, so I will get the tyres swapped onto my steel rims.

Dave.