xantia handbrake

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

meexi
My Cars:

xantia handbrake

Post by meexi »

just how easy is it to replace the handbrake cables on my xantia? the bol says that i have to remove the exhaust and some covers that need blind riveted back on. can someone advise me?
2004 C3 XTR HDI 16V 92bhp
2004 Xsara Picasso Exclusive HDI 16V 110bhp
1989 Peugeot J5 Hymer B694 2.5td intercooled 8v 96bhp
reblack68
My Cars:

Post by reblack68 »

I did the two cables on mine on Monday.

There is a tin cover beside the exhaust. I think that's the one they mean but it's held on by two nuts on mine. The exhaust itself doesn't have to come off.

The BOL actually gives a reasonable description of what to do. Judicious wiggling is required to deal with the balancer end. Pay attention to the routing before you pull the old cable out. I ended up removing the under-engine tray but you might not have to. Be prepared to get filthy as you rummage around under the engine.

I did mine on full suspension height and adjusted them so there was a small amount of play. I can feel the brake coming on on full lock so I'm going to have to slacken them off a bit.

All in all I found it an easy enough job.
Richard

No French cars of my own at present.
Care of a 1994 205 D.
SimonT
My Cars:

Post by SimonT »

Don't know if this helps too but when I did mine, I tied some string onto the old cable as I pulled it out so that it was easy to put the new one in and it follows the route through all the loops etc without hassle.
:D
Saxo 1.5 XD 1998
(previously owned Xantia 1.9 TD sx 1995)
meexi
My Cars:

Post by meexi »

well done them today pretty easy although i did get the routing wrong first time :oops: just to say that you do not have to remove the centre console as long as the small balancer cable is alright.

failed its mot friday so only got the two front wishbone bushes to do to pass and they look pretty easy with my trusty big hammer and grinder :lol:
2004 C3 XTR HDI 16V 92bhp
2004 Xsara Picasso Exclusive HDI 16V 110bhp
1989 Peugeot J5 Hymer B694 2.5td intercooled 8v 96bhp