LEAKY SCOOSHER BOTTLE

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Cpt_Spalding
My Cars:

LEAKY SCOOSHER BOTTLE

Post by Cpt_Spalding »

Ok, ok! But do YOU know its proper name? No, didn't think so. :evil:

I was going to ask the garage last time it was in to have a quick look at this & they said this would involve taking off the inner wing. Sooo... it sounds like a labour intensive job that I should do myself.

The trouble with these things is you don't know what you're going to find until you get it all stripped down. Then you've got to get to the Citroen place to get the parts & your transport is in bits &... :roll:

My question is has anyone else had any such issues & therefore any advice? Please tell me it's easily sorted & a my wife will manage it before she's made the breakfast. Ta.

Also the passenger side scoosher doesn't scoosh.
'98 Xantia 1.9TD Tempt 2 Estate.
Had an M reg long ago as co. car & been curious about owning again ever since.
What have I done????
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I'm assuming you mean the windscreen washers :lol:

Stock fault is the little one-way valve between the pump (mounted in the bottle) and the piping to the windscreen jets going duff. It stops being a one-way valve or even a non-retuern valve.

No need to have the wing off. The tank and pump can be got at by removing the offside mudshield undr the wing. You'll need to move this mudshield and the arch-liner to get at the one-way valve.

So, not quite a before breakfast job but certainly doable between elevenses and tiffin....
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Cpt_Spalding
My Cars:

Post by Cpt_Spalding »

Hmm.

When I try to fill up the scoosher bottle, it fills up so far then p*shes out under the engine compartment. 2 or 3 scooshes & the warning light flashes again. Hence I suspect a major leak somewhere.
What have I done????
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

You've probably got a pump fitting through a hole near the bottom of the washer bottle. It could be dislodged through frost - something we don't get in Hampshire.
jeremy
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

I have just the same problem, and haven't yet got round to investigating.
I think the filler neck is seperate rom the bottle itself, and has come adrift, as the leakage only happens when filling up. If you 'waste' enough water, it's still possible to fill the bottle so that it lasts for ages.
reblack68
My Cars:

Post by reblack68 »

I was in about the washer bottle on my car today as it happens. It might be the seal around your pump that's gone. Mine wasn't leaking but something had gone horribly wrong with the fluid and the seal was rotten.

You can see the pump from underneath the car, it shouldn't be too hard to see if that's where the water is coming from. The seals seem to be pretty standard for bottles with right-angle pumps. I got a replacement seal off a SAAB that just happened to be missing a wing. Take care when plugging the pump back in, it's very easy to push the seal into the bottle. Luckily the SAAB had two pumps :oops:
Richard

No French cars of my own at present.
Care of a 1994 205 D.
admiral51
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: C5 X7 2009 2.0 HDI VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
C4 2010 2.0 HDi Exclusive VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

Post by admiral51 »

assuming the washer bottles are the same on all xantias is the basis for the following (i have a 1996 P plate)

the filler neck is seperate from the bottle itself and is sat/sealed into the top of bottle.this neck is run through the inner wing and is a real pig to get out :twisted:
they capacity of the bottle itself is approx 4-5 litres and to remove the bottle i believe you have to take the bumper off to access the retaining bolts
you can see the underside of the bottle inc pump outlets from beneath the car just set it on high
is it possible that your filler neck is not sat in the top of bottle hence lots of water goes onto floor and very little goes in the bottle :?:
or maybe the filler is split a flexible garden hose should bend enough to drop into the bottle through the neck (it twists and narrows as it goes through wing) you should see then if its filling bottle or still coming out onto floor

i have a spare bottle so will check capacity tomorrow and post result

colin
admiral51
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 X7 2009 2.0 HDI VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
C4 2010 2.0 HDi Exclusive VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

Post by admiral51 »

:oops: :oops: sometimes i wonder how i get up in the mornings :oops: :oops:

from what i can see there is only one electrical connection to the washer bottle that sits on top of the pump is it possible that you have a faulty level sensor and in fact the bottle is still full. how long does it take to empty when using the jets?? have you a split in the pipes to the jets as it will take very little time to pump 2-3 litres out of the pipe compared to pushing it through the jets assuming the level sensor is set about 2/3rds of capacity

as soon as bottle is full it will pour out from filler neck join as you pour it in mine does and it runs down towards front of car and looks like ive emptied kettle straight on to floor

hope some of this helps :)

colin
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

The wheel arch lining removal will only help if the washers aren't getting
any water due to the non return valve blocking or even splitting due to
a blockage in the pipe creating excessive pressure in the line.

As has been previously posted, the leak is due to the seal not being
watertight where the pump sits into the main bottle. It only sits in a
pair of molded lugs in the bottle itself, acting against a rubber o ring.
The water can fill up and the pump WILL work, but the motor's poor
sealing will eventually allow the contents to spill out, especially when
the car goes around corners!!

You can indeed access the motor and the feed pipe/electrics from it
without removal of the bumper, BUT will need to dismantle it if the
bottle needs to come off! The strap that holds the bottle in place will
likely be rusted in place thanks to non captive captives that wont undo...

Andrew
Cpt_Spalding
My Cars:

Post by Cpt_Spalding »

Bugger. She's not going to get that done before breakfast is she? Looks like I'll be having Sausage McMuffins on Saturday then... :roll:
What have I done????
admiral51
Donor 2023

Post by admiral51 »

Cpt_Spalding wrote:Bugger. She's not going to get that done before breakfast is she? Looks like I'll be having Sausage McMuffins on Saturday then... :roll:
it all depends on what time she starts :lol: :lol:

colin