cool running 2.1td

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

davethewheel

cool running 2.1td

Post by davethewheel »

my xantia 2.1td is running to cool and has done since i got the car about a year ago, i think that either the thermostat is stuck open or is missing, it sits at around 65c pretty much all the time apart from when i get stuck in traffic when it will eventually creep up to around 90c and the fans cut in ,my local garage said it's not a easy job changing the stat as it's behind the water pump, is this true ,f thats the case i'll just have to leave it. :)
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

Mine is pretty much the same, has been since aquired back in April or May. Although it takes a lot to get it hot enough to have the fans on - happened in heat of the summer in heavy traffic a few times but it never overheated.

Additionally, I have a very minor coolant leak and topping it up slightly changes the characteristics you mention. We suspect a "lazy" stat as the test to tell if one is fitted and trying to function is - starting from cold, compare the top hose to the thermostat housing. My hose remained stone cold while the housing got warm/hot first.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

The thermostat is at the back of the engine, bottom corner cambelt end. Its not the easiest thing to work on but I have changed a couple and its quite do-able. You cant see much of it but its not to difficult to do by feel. Its a fairly standard thermostat housing cover with three bolts holding it on. You will need a 1/4" drive ratchet and I think they are 11mm bolts. Do be careful to put the thermostat in the right way round, as its in the return pipe, the capsule faces outwards.
davethewheel

Post by davethewheel »

thanks peter, is there a seal on the housing that i need to replace as well.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

If I remember rightly (which I wont guarantee) there is an 'O' ring which seals it. I have looked in the citroen parts list but it only shows what would have been the thermostat housing on the head, but not whare it actually is, strange.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Link to the picture of the 2.1 stat, taking from pr.net. presumably if you look deep enough the same will be on citroen service...

2.1 stat
Richard W
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

That's it. Thank you richard. Yes, it does seem to have a sealing ring of some sort.
davethewheel

Post by davethewheel »

thx guys, ordered a stat and sealing o-ring today :)
davethewheel

Post by davethewheel »

changed the thermostat today, ended up lying on my back covered in anti freeze not a very pleasant job, now the car sits at around 80c :D
UFO
My Cars:

Post by UFO »

Would this be a job you could do by working through the wheel arch? ie remove wheel and inner plastic wing? If it is near the cambelt then as you remove the wheel etc to get access to change a cambelt it just seems logical.
Craig Keller
Gerringong
Australia

"A little dab of LHM goes a long way!"
davethewheel

Post by davethewheel »

you probably can get to it through the wheel arch, i just found it easier to do it from underneath, i thought id drained most of the water off but i was wrong and found that out when i pulled out the stat, i should have known better :oops:
UFO
My Cars:

Post by UFO »

davethewheel wrote:you probably can get to it through the wheel arch, i just found it easier to do it from underneath, i thought id drained most of the water off but i was wrong and found that out when i pulled out the stat, i should have known better :oops:
It's like LHM in the hydraulics. There's always that last bit! :?
Craig Keller
Gerringong
Australia

"A little dab of LHM goes a long way!"