Synergie silencer box

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

LOAC

Synergie silencer box

Post by LOAC »

My Synergie has recently had a new exhaust fitted (not long before I bought it). However, when I took it on holiday the other day, I found that the rear silencer box is knocking on the back axle bar when the car is loaded and goes over a bump. I checked the receipt for the exhaust and it says "Synergie/Ulysse/806" exhaust, so it should be the right type, but to me it seems as if the exhaust unit is about and inch too short. Has anyone else had a problem with this before?

LOAC
Xantia 2.0i Desire Auto 1998 77K miles- For sale

Synergie SX 1.9TD 2000
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

I had similar bother when I got a rear box for my 2.1 Xantia. The old and the new side by side were identical except for a slightly different hanging bracket. It took a bit of bending about to get the new one hanging in the correct position.
2010 C5 X7 VTR+Nav 160
1998 1.5 Saxo
1998 Pug 306 1.9D
2018 C4 B7 VTR+
2011 Citroen C1
Gammy leg
My Cars:

Post by Gammy leg »

LOAC

From memory I think that this is a common fault on replacement exhauasts for this model. Not sure where I read about it though, maybe somewhere on this forum. Do a search to check.
When I bought my replacement it came in 3 sections whereas the original was only a 2 piece arrangement. There is no way of removing the original without putting it up on ramps or cutting it, hence the need for a 3 piece replacement for the DIYer.

Gammy

1.9TD Synergie SX ( 2000 )
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Gammy is spot on. Aftermarket exhaust systems exactly for this chassis model are at least 1" too short :!:

Why :?:

:roll: :roll:
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

AndersDK wrote:Gammy is spot on. Aftermarket exhaust systems exactly for this chassis model are at least 1" too short :!:

Why :?:

:roll: :roll:
Same for a 205 Anders. :twisted: :twisted: I guess it must save them a few pennies on each, making them a little short. Makes them a :evil: to fit nicely...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Gammy leg
My Cars:

Post by Gammy leg »

LOAC

This is where I got my replacement system from. You may find it useful for future reference. I bought absolutely every item listed on the schedule just in case although I could have reused some of the old fixings.
I have only fitted the front section so far( incl. CAT ) from the manifold to the front box, the rest is still OK and I'll only replace when necessary. As I said before, the original exhaust is a 2 piece so I'll need to cut it off to remove it. I can measure the 2 rear sections if you would like me to.

HTH

Gammy

https://sslrelay.com/buypartsby.co.uk/e ... cordID=352