Xantia power seats - maybe common faults?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

pprado
My Cars:

Xantia power seats - maybe common faults?

Post by pprado »

Guys, I just bought some electric seats for my car.
However I have not installed them yet because of some failures I needed to fix, and because I needed to get power for them somewhere.
The car has the wiring for heated seats but not for powered seats... And I couldn´t find the other end of the wiring. (If anyone knows please let me know!!!)

I´ve run into 2 faults that were common to both seats, so I thought of posting them to help anyone who maybe experiences them:

1. Noisy motor

The tiny motor was doing an undesirable noise. I decided to put some rags around it to lower the noise, and found that the support where the motor goes has a crack - suggesting someone overtightened the bolt.
The cure was to remove the motor, put some rubber adhesive on the crack from inside and reinsert the motor. The noise drastically drops.
You´ll need to put a cable tie to hold the motor there since the cracked support was supposed to hold the motor.

2. Cracked pipe

The motor stops pumping when the pressure reaches a defined level to prevent from rupturing a bag. On my seats, If I held the switch to fill a bag, it filled the bag and stopped - but would re-start in about 5 seconds and refill a little. Thus, pressure was dropping.

On both seats, the crack was on the pipe exactly where the pipes go upwards - driver´s got the upper bag´s pipe cracked, while passenger´s got the lower bag.

Cure is to seal the crack and add some tape both to help the seal, and to make the pipe more rigid and resistant to bending.

Here is a color key for the pipes:

Black - Side ones
Blue - Lower bag
Red - Upper bag

I hope this helps someone. If not, at least helped me :-)
-----
Pedro Prado
elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Re: Xantia power seats - maybe common faults?

Post by elma »

pprado wrote: 23 Sep 2007, 06:30
2. Cracked pipe

The motor stops pumping when the pressure reaches a defined level to prevent from rupturing a bag. On my seats, If I held the switch to fill a bag, it filled the bag and stopped - but would re-start in about 5 seconds and refill a little. Thus, pressure was dropping.

On both seats, the crack was on the pipe exactly where the pipes go upwards - driver´s got the upper bag´s pipe cracked, while passenger´s got the lower bag.

Cure is to seal the crack and add some tape both to help the seal, and to make the pipe more rigid and resistant to bending.

Here is a color key for the pipes:

Black - Side ones
Blue - Lower bag
Red - Upper bag

I hope this helps someone. If not, at least helped me :-)

I realise this threads 10 years old.
Has anyone else had this problem?
My drivers seat sides deflate rapidly after being pumped up.
I've had the seats out looking for the problem and given up but reading this makes me want to try again.
Are there any other places they are known to leak from?
My puncture is larger than the ops as I cannot fully fill the sides.