HIDs on Xantias?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

RichG
My Cars:

HIDs on Xantias?

Post by RichG »

I am interested in upgrading my Xantia headlights for the Winter. I already have Osram Silver Star bulbs but would like some more light output. Phillips do make a +80 Halogen bulb but not in the H1 type (only H4 and H7). I know that I could run a separate power line direct from the battery through a relay although I have yet to find a source for the 9mm? spades that are used on the bulbs.

I am also considering buying a set of 4300k HID bulbs. I have read all of the info, including the DfT site, but I am looking for some real world experience on Xantias. Some people have fitted them to XMs but I cannot find any feedback from Xantias.

What I want to know is:-
1) Are they easy to fit? (I would remove the headlight and clean the glass anyway)
2) Are they worth the money in extra light output?
3) Do they come to full brightness immediately?
4) Is the beam pattern the same?
5) Is it worth changing both dip and main?
6) Do they pass the MOT? (actual results please not supposition)
7) Are they all the same quality or are there good and bad makes/suppliers?

Thanks
Richard
1998 Xantia 1.9TD Estate (Sold - replaced with Skoda Octavia (sorry))
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

My personal opinion on HID "upgrades" are very "clear" : please dont do it. You will be a pain for oncoming traffic.
Because the headlamp and lense design is not suited for this
different kind of light source.

When upgrading exisisting lights circuits, you dont do a direct connection on the bulbs. Instead you source new bulb connectors of better quality with more chunky wires ready fitted.

IMHO you are talking HID, because you have never seen by own eyes how well and effective a relay upgrade works to an existing circuit - ESPECIALLY on the very poor Xantia lights circuit. Thats when your Silver Star really do their job - amazingly well.

I really do hope now you are going for a couple of relays, bulb connectors, fuse holder and some chunky wire instead. And its MUCH cheaper 8)
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
SimonM

Re: HIDs on Xantias?

Post by SimonM »

RichG wrote:I am interested in upgrading my Xantia headlights for the Winter. I already have Osram Silver Star bulbs but would like some more light output. Phillips do make a +80 Halogen bulb but not in the H1 type (only H4 and H7). I know that I could run a separate power line direct from the battery through a relay although I have yet to find a source for the 9mm? spades that are used on the bulbs.

I am also considering buying a set of 4300k HID bulbs. I have read all of the info, including the DfT site, but I am looking for some real world experience on Xantias. Some people have fitted them to XMs but I cannot find any feedback from Xantias.

What I want to know is:-
1) Are they easy to fit? (I would remove the headlight and clean the glass anyway)
2) Are they worth the money in extra light output?
3) Do they come to full brightness immediately?
4) Is the beam pattern the same?
5) Is it worth changing both dip and main?
6) Do they pass the MOT? (actual results please not supposition)
7) Are they all the same quality or are there good and bad makes/suppliers?

Thanks
Richard
Hi, I can only specifically answer some of your questions from experience:

2) I previously had a Vauxhall Omega with HID's, personally I think the Halogen lights on my C5 are far more powerful. I was quite disappointed with the HID's. The light pattern has a very sharp cut off point, so a lot of the road appeared to be unlit. I think a lot of it is to do with the size of the lights, the Omega like the Xantia has thin lights whereas the C5 has quite large lights with a huge reflector so I guess this makes a big difference to light output.
3) It takes around 10 seconds, the HID's have to "strike" which takes a huge current but once lit they current requirement drops significantly.
4) As above they have a very sharp cut off compared to normal lights, IMO they didn't seem to light the edges of the road/road signs very well.
6) The requirement for HID's is they need to be self leveling, this is the light not just the car and they also require headlamp wash facilities, so *if* the MOT tester knows this then no it wouldn't pass.
7) Hella seem to do most of the OEM stuff so I would guess they are pretty good.

HTH
02 C5 2.0i SX Estate
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

AndersDK wrote:My personal opinion on HID "upgrades" are very "clear" : please dont do it. You will be a pain for oncoming traffic.
I agree wholeheartedly. I used to think these new powerful bulbs were numpties that had full-beam on but now I know it's not the case. They are a real danger IMHO.
RichG
My Cars:

Post by RichG »

Thanks for the feedback and comments. I will re-consider my options.

Richard
1998 Xantia 1.9TD Estate (Sold - replaced with Skoda Octavia (sorry))
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

MikeT wrote:
AndersDK wrote:My personal opinion on HID "upgrades" are very "clear" : please dont do it. You will be a pain for oncoming traffic.
I agree wholeheartedly. I used to think these new powerful bulbs were numpties that had full-beam on but now I know it's not the case. They are a real danger IMHO.
Me too. I utterly detest the damm things :evil: :evil: Mind you, I'm old enough to recall thinking the same thing when halogen bulbs displaced tungsten ones. I thought how silly it was making lights so bright that all that was achieved was that every driver succeeded in blinding every other driver at night. I still feel the same. A well adjusted and maintained set of halogens are perfectly adequate although agree the MK 1 Xantia lights can stand electrical improvements. That is the only good thing about the facelift Xantia, the lights are much better although, alas, the sidelight "perfect circle" effect is lost :(

I did, reluctantly, fit a set of HID bulbs into the angel-eyes on my son's 200SX and they were like a pair of search-lights. I would have hated to have driven against them.
SimonM wrote:4) As above they have a very sharp cut off compared to normal lights, IMO they didn't seem to light the edges of the road/road signs very well.
This is a "fudge" to try to reduce the terrible dazzle they cause and as you rightly point out Simon, with dangerous consequence.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

citrojim wrote:I'm old enough to recall thinking the same thing when halogen bulbs displaced tungsten ones. I thought how silly it was making lights so bright that all that was achieved was that every driver succeeded in blinding every other driver at night. I still feel the same.
I have a story to tell... long ago, when driving a 3.5tonne about 3a.m. through unlit countrsyide somewhere in the middle of england, careful not to fall off the narrow lane, I was aware of an approaching, unseen vehicle illuminating the sky before it and naturally suspected they were driving on full-beam - as I was too. Once the vehicle came into view I dipped my headlights (as you do) but (wrongly) assumed the oncoming vehicle had not returned the courtesy.

I've been wrong about this before (whilst driving a car) but sitting high up in the cab of a lorry I knew the effect wasn't caused by two misaligned headlights or if it were, then the driver deserved my wrath anyway, and I lit him up with full-beam and switched on my fogs to let him (or her) know I was being blinded by them and was forced to slow to almost a complete stop. :evil:

To my surprise (or rather shock) I was met with what seemed like a footbal stadium light cluster so bright I could feel the radiation warming the back of my skull. I imagined that there was an x-ray of me etched on the back wall of the cab, it really was that intense.

As the vehicle passed nonchalantly by, I couldn't help but notice the orange stripes along the white police car that unflinchingly carried on along its route - for which I was most grateful for.

Perhaps his dipped beam were fitted with those new halogens, I don't know but I've still, to this day, never known such lights on any vehicle. An aircraft, yes, but not any road vehicle.
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Similar thing happened to a friend in his land rover.
Late one night someone came right up behind him with what he though were main beams on.
Flashing rear fog lights made no difference, so he flicked on the rear spot light and was met with blue flashing lights.
After explaining to the police how they were blinding him, they appologised, pointed out they were using dipped beams but would have them checked just incase, and then he let them go ahead.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool