Smoky 2.1td

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

stevenlizuk
My Cars:

Smoky 2.1td

Post by stevenlizuk »

Hello All,

I have a 406 with the 2.1 td which when under load smokes fairly hard.
My Xantia with the same engine (and chipped) never smoked as much as this.
The oil fuel and air filters are all new.
The car failed it's last mot on emissions but after sticking a can of cleaner through it it sailed the smoke test.
It has 140k on it but the Cit was like new with 170k.
Any clues?
Are worn injectors likeley to be the simplest answer?
She only ever gets fed Shell Ultimate.

Cheers
Steve
P.s. after getting a Pug I naturally statrted using the Pug forum, god it's quiet over there.
98 406 Estate LX 2.1td in white (Anyone call Ghostbusters?)

97 Xantia SX 2.1td (Chipped and happy at 130mph) Deceased after agricultural incident (crashed into field).
1981 Mini HL (Just happy to be around)
KP
My Cars:

Off topic

Post by KP »

Can i ask where and how much you got the chipping done for your 2.1 at all??

It could be the EGR valve sticking and causing problems but it sounds like too much fuel going in and the engine not sensing it :(
stevenlizuk
My Cars:

Post by stevenlizuk »

The chip was a "Torqmaster" module that altered the cars sensor outputs to encourage the pump to ram more fuel in.
Was around £450 fitted.
Didn't effect economy as greatly reduced the gearchanges with a much wider powerband and buckets of torque.
Unlike a re-map you could turn it up or down as required but once fitted I left it alone at it's mid point as it was perfect.
As with any power enhancing mod if the engine isn't in top condition it will only hasten it's demise.
Be careful about what you do to an older engine as the extra power is a lot of extra strain on already worn parts.
Back to the point, where is the EGR valve and can it be rescued if it's sticky or is it usually dead?

Cheers
Steve

97 Xantia SX 2.1td (Chipped and happy at 130mph) Deceased after agricultural incident (crashed into field).
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

From what ive seen on here its easier to just disconnect the thing and plug the hole where it used to feed the waste back into the inlet manifold and leave it be :)
davethewheel

Post by davethewheel »

i had the same problem with my xantia 2.1td, it was the EGR valve sticking open, i pulled off the pipe and stuck the thin end of a small paint brush in to see if it stopped the smoke and it worked, that was over a year ago and the car has since passed another MOT and the end of the brush is still in there :P
goldfinche
My Cars:

Smoke and paint brushes.

Post by goldfinche »

Hello davethewheel sounds good have been having the same type of issue. Would you kindly explain a bit more please, have a long trip on the W/E and would rather not bu++er things up. There is what I take to be a vacuum pump on the NS of the engine driven by the cam , is this the pipe to block off? The large pipe going into the inlet manifold is held in place by a 'fit once' clamp and I dont have a spare.
Thanks.
Geoff.
1991 Turbo diesel automatic.BX.
1993 ZX td. slowly dieing.
stevenlizuk
My Cars:

Post by stevenlizuk »

Hello Davethewheel,

The car is Ivan's old 406, have you heard how his travels are progressing.
Tell him he had a lucky escape with the Pug, it failed it's MOT with two busted drop-links a rear stabilizer bar and on it's emissions.
Drop-links easy enough to fix but emissions are a worry, got through the MOT with a can of cleaner through it but still seems very smoky compared to the Cit.

Steve

davethewheel

Post by davethewheel »

hi goldfinche, the pipe i disconnected is the small black pipe about 5/6mm dia that runs from the vacuum pump thats sits on the end of the cam on the n/s and runs across the back of the inlet manifold, i simply pulled off the pipe and plugged it not sure if this is the correct way to do it but it certainly worked on mine.
hi steve, ivan is still away, last i heard he had spent a while in the alps and then the south of France and is now on his way to spain, he's loving every minute of it, riding his bike all day and doing a bit of fishing for his supper :lol: , sorry to here you are having bother with the car ,i'm sure ivan never had any probs with the emissions ,maybe it's the EGR they are always causing bother, does the car feel like it's down on power mine used to feel flat and kick out loads of smoke when the EGR valve was sticking.
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

Hi steve, don't know about the car but if it has a bosch mechanical pump you could try decreasing the fuelling and running it on veg oil, this seems to lower emissions. What sort of test do they do, someone here suggested it's just a visual check? Did you change the oil or the oil filter or both, it's not quite clear?
goldfinche
My Cars:

Pipe and thanks.

Post by goldfinche »

Hi davethewheel. thanks for the prompt reply. I thought that may have been the one but was checking because the one from the vacuum pump is sheathed in a plastic sheath and disapears downwards to ??? Dont know it's dark down there. there is a metal pipe (3 mm?) that runs across and is bracketed to the inlet manifold with a rubber pipe on it so was going to plug that piece of pipe. The wonders of technology designed by computer ( probably) and modified by paint brush love it. :lol: :lol: :roll: :roll:
Well done mate.
Cheers.
Geoff.
1991 Turbo diesel automatic.BX.
1993 ZX td. slowly dieing.
stevenlizuk
My Cars:

Post by stevenlizuk »

Hi again Dave,

I'm not worried about the car having a few niggles, that is part of the fun of French cars.
I've had great fun bargain hunting bits for it, last week I got a towbar for £20 from the scrappy and it looks nearly new.
I also have a pet mechanic so I only paid £60 for all of the MOT repairs.
Glad to hear that Ivan is enjoying himself, him and his girlfriend seemed like a really cool couple (I'm still turning up bits of Rizla packets under the back seat!).
Thanks for the info on the EGR valve, it will have to wait to get fixed though as I'm away biking over the next few weekends.
Cheers again,
Steve