OILS AND FILTERS

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Bren
My Cars:

OILS AND FILTERS

Post by Bren »

What oils and filters do you guys use for your xantia xud's? Do you use genuine or pattern filters? Semi - synthetic or mineral oil? Your views would be appreciated.
96'Xantia 1.9 td estate
93'gsxr- 750
85' Rover 3500 (work in progress)
slim123

Post by slim123 »

Years and years ago, a guy from Castrol told me that there was no need to use different oils for petrol and diesel cars, then a few years later Castrol brought out GTD for diesel cars, I reminded him of the earlier statement and he told me that it was just a marketing ploy as they were loosing out to the diesel market, he still insisted that one oil will do both.

(I was working in a garage and needed to know what to stock for servicing)

Even now I use Castrol magnetech for everything and change the oil and filter every 6000 miles I have never had any problems.

As for filters I tend to use fram or mann, whatever the local factors have in at the time.

Regards
Slim.
Ross_K
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2009 Citroen C5 VTR+ HDi 1.6
2004 Toyota Prius
2004 Alfa Romeo 156 1.6 Twin Spark

Post by Ross_K »

I usually go for Fram as well.

Or an Purflux filter from a stealer if I'm feeling flush...

:lol: :lol: :lol:
ImageImage
XantiaMan
My Cars:

Post by XantiaMan »

MANN filters on mine, good price and good quality. Used to use WiX filters on my other cars where i used to live and they were fine too.
2003 Ford Mondeo ST220
2002 Ford Fiesta Zetec S
2001 Ford Puma 1.7 VCT
2008 Ford Transit Mk7
http://www.facebook.com/kidmans" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Generally older diesels would benefit from an oil type leaving a heavier (thicker) oil film to aid keeping up the compression.

I would never go lower in viscosity index than 10W40 on a diesel, being semisynt or mineral.
Otherwise always go for the highest API index (highest alphabetic code), which is the true indicator for the oil's quality and duarability against heat and mechanical wear.

Finally remember that it is a fact that modern oils can withstand higher mileage in use, but on a diesel the oil is also a medium to remove combustion residues, which amongst others is carbon soot. Soot is a very effective GRINDER to the internals of your engine. So keep up the short oil service intervals :shock:
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
Bren
My Cars:

Post by Bren »

Thanks for the feedback - personally I use either a mann or purflux item ( the mann is half the price of the purflux) and a 15/40 diesel oil (carlube) changed at 4000 mile intervals. Incidentally, the oil is £7.99 in morrisons, the same stuff in Motorworld is £15.95. What a rip off! It pays to shop around.
96'Xantia 1.9 td estate
93'gsxr- 750
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

Be a little wary when you decide to go for a different breed of oil filter.
Reason I'm a bit paranoid about this is that a while back I called into an oil and filter supplier, bought some oil and asked for a filter.
He had a brand I'd never heard of before ("Sakura" I think it was; made in Asia) and asked me what I normally used. I gave him 2 models for 2 different brands that I had used in the past.
He then produced a chart and advises me that the specifications for the two I had quoted were poles apart.
Like everything, it seems these days there are so many variables in filters, it pays to double check that the filter you're using is actually suitable for your cars specs.
Besides the usual back drain valve (which these days most seem to have anyway) some of these specs sheets also give the capacity, surface area of filter material and most importantly, the psi at which the by pass valve clicks in. Cits operate on a fairly high oil pressure and it seems that one of the filters I was using was so low in that department, that there was a real possibility that at certain stages of operation, the oil was by passing the actual filter medium.
I tried to point this out on a forum over here but was hit with the ligic that "I buy mine at the local dealers and at A$45 a time, I know I'm getting the best money can buy." I didn't like to upset him by telling him I bought the same ones for A$7.50 at the time. :shock:

Alan S
RIP Sept 19th 2008.

She said "Put the cat out" She didn't mention it was on fire!!
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I have always changed my oil every 5k = four times per year. I use the cheapest 'CF' rated oil I can get, usually around £7.00 per 5 litres and the filters that GSF supply at about £2.50. I have had engines last in excess of 250k still with little apparent wear.
Ross_K
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2009 Citroen C5 VTR+ HDi 1.6
2004 Toyota Prius
2004 Alfa Romeo 156 1.6 Twin Spark

Post by Ross_K »

ImageImage
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

alan s wrote: Like everything, it pays to double check that the filter you're using is actually suitable for your cars specs.

Alan S
We've had four family PSAs for a lot of years, and currently they all take different oil filters. GSF's part nos. 12047 and 12045 are identical in appearance, and both would fit the Pug or Xsara, but internally they must be different. So much so that one is £3.50 and the other's £5.
2010 C5 X7 VTR+Nav 160
1998 1.5 Saxo
1998 Pug 306 1.9D
2018 C4 B7 VTR+
2011 Citroen C1
Bren
My Cars:

Post by Bren »

I had heard "mumblings" about the quality of some oil filters, particularly Fram - I visited an american website which slaughtered them. This coincided with the removal of a Fram item from a Rover 600 that I owned, after being left overnight the oil had drained from it - it was the last time I used a Fram item.
96'Xantia 1.9 td estate
93'gsxr- 750
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

JohnD wrote:
alan s wrote: Like everything, it pays to double check that the filter you're using is actually suitable for your cars specs.

Alan S
We've had four family PSAs for a lot of years, and currently they all take different oil filters. GSF's part nos. 12047 and 12045 are identical in appearance, and both would fit the Pug or Xsara, but internally they must be different. So much so that one is £3.50 and the other's £5.
As an example John, the one I used to occasionally use in a BX I discovered had a by pass relief pressure at around 8/10 psi. The one recommended had from memory around a 30 psi by pass. The reaction of the guy at the place where I got the correct one was wondering how often unfiltered oil was being pumped through the engine due to the by pass valve cutting in.
This guy produced a specs sheet on oil filters and it was a real eye opener.
I've never seen one before but they must be around and after the episodes we've had involving auto trans fluid where cross referencing was proven to be incorrect, you have to wonder how accurate cross referencing of oil filters might be, given their internal complexities that go far beyond whether they just "fit."

Alan S
RIP Sept 19th 2008.

She said "Put the cat out" She didn't mention it was on fire!!